Factory Talk View/ RSView32 numeric input question

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
On a screen where the operator is conditionally allowed to change certain values is there an easy way to allow a numeric input field to be selected and modified only under certain conditions?

In the past I have placed two objects, one a numeric display and one a numeric entry field, on top of each other and used visibility animation to hide the numeric entry field and unhide the numeric display when modification was not permitted. So far this has been adequate but editing the page gets rather tedious with all of the overlayed objects.

On a VBA form I would just enable the text box, then the box and contents are visible but greyed out, but I don't see a simple way to do this for the RSView or FTView numeric entry object.

Tag security won't work as I don't want to prevent changes to the values - just prevent a change to a value when doing so would present a problem to a running process.

Last edited:
I'd try doing it at the CPU level by introducing a "conditional" step between the HMI controlled tag/address and the destination of the data; the operator entered data will not reach the destination unless permitted by the programming logic.

You could put the numeric input object on a separate display and use touch animation on the numeric display object to open that display using an if then else expression. You could reuse the numeric input display by using a /t to point to your tag in the display command - display NumericInput /tYourTag and #1 as the tag on the numeric input object. I know, pretty cumbersome...