Will Firmware update on controller destroy ladder?

gr8benwa

I tried to connect my laptop (using rslogix 5k ver 15) via Ethernet to a compactlogix 1769-L32E. When I tried to upload the logic to my laptop, I was informed in a pop-up that a firmware update v16.3 was necessary.

This is my main concern:
The only copy of the logic is on the controller. No backups exist. :confused: Will updating the firmware on the controller do any damage to the logic on the controller? I need to upload the logic from the controller so that I can add a few rungs to control some contact switches and pull in some starters that have been added to the flow.

I went to rockwell and downloaded a firmware update (to my pc so that I can use it next time I connect to the controller) but I am scared about destroying the only copy of the logic.

:unsure::unsure:(also on a side note... confused as to why I have Rslogix5k ver 15 on my laptop but the pop-up said I needed v16.3 firmware update)

Last edited:
Also forgot to mention that I understand that a power failure during the update will brick the controller. My question about destroying the logic is about after a successful firmware update. I have never performed a firmware update before.

Updating the firmware WILL erase the program in the processor. You need to get the software version of RSLogix 5000 that matches the firmware version in the processor.

If you have version 16.3 firmware in the processor, you will need version 16 of 5000 to go online with it.

Last edited:
If you update the firmware in the controller you will clear the program in the controller and it will be lost forever. You need to use the same version of RSLogix 5000 to upload the program from the controller and save it to your computer.

thanks jkerekes and blftech
This is my first experience with the 5000 series controllers and software. I have lots of time in on the 500 series... its like starting over but i like the challenge. Thank you for the information, I just had one of those feelings that I better ask before I tried it.

also on a side note... confused as to why I have Rslogix5k ver 15 on my laptop but the pop-up said I needed v16.3 firmware update)

not sure exactly what you mean by that - but go to RSLinx and Right-Click the processor ... then select Properties ... that should tell you the version of the processor's firmware ...

basic idea: RSLinx can talk to the processor just enough to tell you the version and catalog number - even if you don't have the proper (matching) version of RSLogix5000 available to actually go online ...

TIP: don't ever trust the label on the processor - since someone might have flashed it (either up or down) and not updated the label ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Ron. I will be onsite Monday morning and will try that tip when I connect to the controller. Friday was the first time I ever attempted connecting to a 5k series controller so I am very confused right now. Coming from lots of experience with the 500 series to 5k is a difficult transition but I like a challenge. This forum is a godsend for newbies.