How to Search for a Forced Input on PLC5/80

RDWizard

PLC5/80
RSLogix5 7.40.00 (CPR 9)

Is there any way to search for a forced input in the find dialog? I know you can view the force tables but need a quicker way to go right to them.

Thanks
Ray

Welcome to the forum Ray.

I'm reading between the lines and making an assumption here, but are you looking for a way to jump very quickly to a specific rung that has a forced input programmed on it?

Go to the rung(s) you want to quickly jump to, right click the rung number, pick edit title, and add a page title to the rung(s). Now on the search menu at the top select Advanced Diagnostics or type <Ctrl> D. In the popup select the page title of the rung you want and you'll jump right to the rung. You can pick a subroutine and click expand to see the page titles in the subroutine.

There is also an option to make page titles permanently part of the project tree on the left. If you go to the tools tab on the top menu and pick Options and then pick the preference tag and put a check mark in the box for Integrate Advanced Diagnostics in the Project Tree then in the project pane where your subroutines are listed you'll see little + marks next to each subroutine. Click the + to expand and you'll see the page title and you can jump there by clicking it.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
That is good information.

I typically support and troubleshoot many processors and have no idea where the forces are. Our Force Tables sometimes have a unusually long lag to them (many racks) and not show the forced inputs. I know I can search in RS5000 but I don't believe that capability ever made it back to RS5. I was refering to any search tricks like special characters like ^A that is used to search for edits.

I know I can search in RS5000
well, yes you CAN - but be careful ... there's a bug in that search feature ... you might want to read a few of the posts which start here:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=441852&postcount=11

preview: the RSLogix5000 "Find All Forces" feature ONLY searches for forces located in the ROUTINES (the program files) ... specifically, it does NOT search for forces which might be located only in the Tag Listings ...

so ...

if someone used a force to (for example) exercise a hydraulic ram before the logic was installed - and then left the force installed but disabled, then a simple "Find All Forces" might lead you to believe that it's all safe and secure to enable your new forces ...

that could lead to a lawyer-level incident ...

Forcing is forcing - no amount of program code will get you out of tricky situations.

Use forcing by all means when you feel the need to, but I would advocate....

1) never leave enabled forces in a program and then leave site...

2) never leave disabled forces in a program and then leave site...

3) never leave forcing enabled with no forces present (Logix5000 allows this) and then leave site...

Several places I have done project work for DO NOT ALLOW forcing....period.