Mapping used hoppers

rkukl

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have 8 feed hoppers each with a purge valve on the bottom. I will be removing (drawing) material from each of the feed hoppers and loading into multi-component blender. When material is first drawn the purge valve will move to position #1 allowing material to be drawn. After a period of time the purge valve will move to position #2 stopping material flow the suction pump will continue to run and the line will be purged of material. The arrangement of where the material is coming from and going to may change. I.E. Feed hopper #1 may connect to Blend Component #3, Feed hopper #2 may connect Blend Component #1. Etc.
But in all cases once assignment is made the used feed hopper and blend component are no longer available. I need to create some sort of “truth” table to make this happen. Attached is a PDF of our first try. This would seem to work except it will allow multiple connections to a single feed hopper. In this test three blending component s are connected to the same feed hopper. Ideally I would like to set it up such that as I assign feed hoppers to blend components they become unavailable and if you try to connect another blend component to a used feed hopper a “flag” will alert indicating that x? feed hopper is used.
Any suggestions appreciated.
I think I may be best to start over??
Thanks

I have 8 feed hoppers each with a purge valve on the bottom. I will be removing (drawing) material from each of the feed hoppers and loading into multi-component blender. When material is first drawn the purge valve will move to position #1 allowing material to be drawn. After a period of time the purge valve will move to position #2 stopping material flow the suction pump will continue to run and the line will be purged of material. The arrangement of where the material is coming from and going to may change. I.E. Feed hopper #1 may connect to Blend Component #3, Feed hopper #2 may connect Blend Component #1. Etc.
But in all cases once assignment is made the used feed hopper and blend component are no longer available. I need to create some sort of “truth” table to make this happen. Attached is a PDF of our first try. This would seem to work except it will allow multiple connections to a single feed hopper. In this test three blending component s are connected to the same feed hopper. Ideally I would like to set it up such that as I assign feed hoppers to blend components they become unavailable and if you try to connect another blend component to a used feed hopper a “flag” will alert indicating that x? feed hopper is used.
Any suggestions appreciated.
I think I may be best to start over??
Thanks
Hi

While giving a quick look-over to your program I found something in rung 20. I may be wrong but here is what I think should be different.

Take the first branch in rung 20 for example. At present it "says" that "if Blending receiver 1 is not connected to any Loading Hopper then Loading Hopper 1 is declared as "not used"". According to me it should be "if Blending receiver 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 is not connected to Loading Hopper 1 then Loading Hopper 1 is declared as "not used"".

In other words, using the same example, the first branch in Rung 20 should have System.DINT[X] NEQ 1 that is 8 such NEQs in series(one for each System.DINT) in front of "Loading Hopper 1 Not used" coil.All other branches should also be modified in the same manner with changes appropriate for each of them.

Then use the "Loading Hopper 1 Not used" bit to create a logic that when Loading Hopper 1 is used and any System.DINT[x] is equal to 1 then Make a bit high and use this bit to display "Hopper 1 already used" to warn the operator.I mean that whenever "Loading Hopper 1 Not used" is low then any subsequent entries of "1" to any other System.DINT[x] should display the Warning

But the operator might still ignore the warning and so
you have to prevent multiple connections to one Hopper in your program.​

To do that Make the following latches:

|                      H1 Not Used  BR1.1                       
|-[Sytem.DINT[1] = 1]------| |------(L)
|

BR1.1= Blending receiver 1 first to connect to Hopper 1
BR2.1= Blending receiver 2 first to connect to Hopper 1
BR1.2= Blending receiver 1 first to connect to Hopper 2
..and so on

Two more examples of the above to make it clearer.

The Latch for BR1.2 will look like:

|                      H2 Not Used  BR1.2                       
|-[Sytem.DINT[1] = 2]------| |------(L)
|

The Latch for BR2.1 will look like:

|                      H1 Not Used  BR2.1                       
|-[Sytem.DINT[2] = 1]------| |------(L)
|

Create the above for all 8 Blending Receivers(BR) and for each Loading Hopper
Unlatch each BR"X.1" when any of the other BR"X.1"s are true.
For example:
BR1.1 will be unlatched by any of BR2.1 to BR8.1.
BR1.2 will be unlatched by any of BR2.2 to BR8.2.
..and so on

Then in Rungs 0-7 replace the Equal blocks and "Loading Hopper x Not Used" NCs with the appropriate BR bits

Last edited:
I would do this to lock out selections. Then Move 0 into Selections when batch complete.

Hopper Select.jpg

Last edited: