RTD Problems

MikeVT

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have had fits with a machine that has RTD's on it. One has worked flawlessly, and one has been constant hassles. The latest seems to be the the 'resistor' has changed value. I have three RTD's of this type, and at room temp (+/- 70 degrees F), they read about 110 ohms. The failed one reads about 80 ohms. Any hints to look for, that may have caused this?? I replaced the bad RTD, and its working great so far, but I haven't really found a cause for this failure, so I'm not so confident the problem is fixed.

Resistance thermometers (RTDs) just like any resistive circuit component do oppose to the passing of an electrical current; in time, the resistive component starts losing its properties and this usualy translates to a decreasing capacity to "restrict" current flow hence a lower resistance.
An environment introduced semi-shortcircuit could also reduce the overall resistance of the circuit.

bad wiring would increase resistance not reducing it to 80 ohms. A bad wiring to a power source may have broken it but usually i got 3/4 wires mixed up...
But RTD sometimes fail...maybe looking for a better brand or keep a spare.
You can look for mecanical issue, part knocking against the probe or overrange temperature etc...

Extreme vibration can cause dislocation of the resistor coil in an RTD, thereby resulting in shorted turns. Any attempt to mechanically lock down the coil in the RTD manufacturing process only results in creating a "strain gauge" effect. Exposure to very high temperatures can eventually degrade the purity of the platinum element (safe to assume PT100 in your app) over time.

I have had fits with a machine that has RTD's on it. One has worked flawlessly, and one has been constant hassles. The latest seems to be the the 'resistor' has changed value. I have three RTD's of this type, and at room temp (+/- 70 degrees F), they read about 110 ohms. The failed one reads about 80 ohms. Any hints to look for, that may have caused this?? I replaced the bad RTD, and its working great so far, but I haven't really found a cause for this failure, so I'm not so confident the problem is fixed.

What is the make of the RTD?
I know Anderson Instruments had a bad run of RTDs awhile back, all attributed to a crimping machine causing cold solder joints.

Thanks, all, for your replies. The RTD manufacturer is Watlow. It is a PT100.

As I learned more about the details surrounding the RTD troubles, the most likely cause of the RTD changing its resistance value, was a large fault in the heater circuit. I had no more problems after replacing the RTD.