CompactLogix L32E with CF card

sentano

Hello everybody,
can somebody tell me if it is possible to reload a project in a L32E using a CF card? It would save me few thousand kilometres.
Thank you!

Allen-Bradley controllers that use CompactFlash or SD card nonvolatile memory save the program as a binary image on the card.

If the image has already been created, or can be created on another controller, it could be copied onto a CF card and installed on that controller.

But you need a controller to create that binary image; you cannot create it using just RSLogix 5000 and a CF card.

Hey...
Thanks for the quick answers...I read that pdf, and like most of AB's manuals...says a lot but doesn't really make you smarter:sick::sick:
I was afraid that I'll need a processor to create the image...that brings up another thing: I probably could get a hold (borrow) an L32E, but no way in hell to replicate the whole rack...and I've got 4 drives controlled by the same CPU.
I know...I should've done this when on site (over a year ago):sick::sick:, but I didn't.
Back to the loner L32...if I load the program in it should I be able to write the CF card, even with the I/O errors happening because of the missing cards/drives/etc?
I know...it's silly, but it is the first time I ran into thiso_Oo_O

Thanks guys!Really appreciate your input.

I think that yes, you can load the program and save the image to the CF card even if the I/O is different.

The CPU has to be the correct model (1769-L32E, not a L35E or L43, for example) and the firmware revision should be the same as the target.

Once you've created the binary image you can transport the files any way you like; you could e-mail or FTP them and have the guys onsite put them onto a CF card.

If you can get hold of another L32E CPU to make the CF image, then that is probably your best solution.

Other ideas:

1. Buy an RSLogix 5000 Service edition and send it to the customer. List price 645USD.
If the customer has no idea how to load the program you could do it remotely by for example Teamviewer.

2. Get access to the remote site via VPN.

In case the endcustomer dont know how to setup a VPN connection, I recommend again Teamviewer. Teamviewer can work as a VPN server to program remote PLCs.
I wrote a guide here for STEP7 that should work for other types of PLCs as well.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but just because you have a program on a CF card and put it in the Compactlogix, it will not necessarily automatically load. You would need either a corrupt program (or blank processor), or previous have it set to load automatically from the card.

Otherwise, you would need someone on site with RSLogix 5000 software to perform the transfer.

Thanks...it's a good idea to give them a service edition, but the customer has no idea what to do with the processor and they are reluctant in giving remote access to outsiders...
...guess I'll be flying soon...damn...didn't miss this one.