Rs-232 ttl level signals

chintan12

hello friends

i am communicating ML-1100 PLC with AT MEGA micro controller serially
i know that serial ports on this micro controller itself are TTL-level signals.

so now shall i have to buy a RS-232 shield or directly connecting my PLC to this controller will work

waiting for my doubt to be solved

thanks in advance

Use the RS-232 shield; this is exactly the reason they exist.

Connecting a real RS-232 port to a TTL serial port usually results in damage to the TTL port.

ATMega microcontrollers are the core of an open-source hobbyist control platform called "Arduino". The serial ports on these microcontrollers use TTL-level signalling, and need interface circuitry to connect them to USB or RS-232 or RS-485.

Accessory modules for the Arduino platform are commonly called "shields". I assume this is because of the way they mount on headers above the main board, but it might be an Italian/English translation as well.

This is actyally interesting topic and information about RS-232 is under the rock in the net. What even is a the real RS-232 what people refer to as it isn't the one with currentloop compability etc..? :) Is there de facto industrial stantard real RS-232 specification.

Need to ask if someone knows, since I don't

Last edited:
If you search for EIA TIA RS-232 you'll get hundreds of hits referencing the official standard that covers the voltages and whatever that constitute RS-232.

Thanks for the enlightening information on 'shields'.