ML1100 set point, where to place

MaxGauss

Dear Sirs: I am working with PID on the MicroLogix 1100. Where do I place my "Set Point"? There seems to be no accommodation in the PID block for it. I took my Set Point integer and moved it to PD9:0.SP, word two (2),but the system will not accept it. Sir's, Please, where do I place the silly thing....
ps.. Ron thank you so much for your help yesterday.

try PD9:0.SPS ...

something in your question makes me think that you MIGHT be confusing the ways that the PID function is used in various models of RSLogix500 type systems ...

in RSLogix500 there are TWO types of PID instructions ...

(1) one uses an Integer type file (example: N9:0) for its Control Block ...

(2) the other uses a special PD-type file (example: PD9:0) for its Control Block ...

yes, I know that the help files tend to run around in circles ... just be careful that you're reading about the RIGHT type of PID for your particular system ...

you need the PD-type for your MicroLogix 1100 ...

incidentally, the location that you mentioned - PD9:0.SP is a binary BIT address ... it can only hold either a ONE or a ZERO value – not an analog value like a setpoint ... that's the reason why the system wouldn't accept/allow your entry ...

basically the processor turns that bit to a status of ONE whenever the setpoint for your PID happens to be "out of range" ... in some cases you can program your logic to let the operator know that he's fat-fingered the keyboard - and to keep the PID (bless its little heart) from choking on an out-of-range setpoint entry ...

Last edited:
just a suggestion:

when you get finished with your project (or even just a little further along with it) consider posting a copy of your entire RSS program file here in the forum ... (you'll have to zip it first - forum rule) ... we'll be glad to take a look at it for you ...

many (most?) people consider PID to be the "deep end of the pool" ... having some extra eyeballs on the program probably wouldn't hurt anything ...

what's your deadline on getting this thing working? ...