16#0203 error code

I can not figure out how to get rid of this error

I have a L63 with a ethernet card in slot 1

slots 3-16 are as follows:

Slot 3 IB32
slot 4 OW16
Slots 5-11 IA16
Slots 12-16 OA16

This is some kind of communications time out error that will shut down the project and intermittently restart and shut back down.

I have read all i can find - no answer that helps

any a/ all thoughts appreciated

Welcome to the forum, Len.

#0203 is a fairly ordinary connection error, so more info is needed to solve the problem.

Is this a new project with new hardware, or an existing machine that has developed a problem?

Let's focus on the blinking I/O module lights.

Are the failures really "intermittent", or are they regular and repeating ? In other words, does the system ever go into run mode and stay there for more than a few seconds ?

starting point is the hardware. Customner purchased hardware and controls from existing surplussed operation.
L63 controller, with three cabinets of control logix.

I have reconfigured their cabinets to match their operations and added IA16 and OA16 modules into their racks.

System ran for a few hours with limited program - simple motor run sequence and scanner reads.

Approx 2 hrs into run, system shut down and the output cards started flashing green OK on the face.

The error code did not cause a system fault as the cards were not configured to create an error on the controller.

Currently there is a 10 min auto restart that causes the system to start and trip

I previously unplugged all and reinstalled everything, the hardware remained stable for 3 days with out motor run circuits installed - all was hardwired while i tested and looked for answers.

I reinstalled the motor run circuits and all was fine. I started further programming and the system failed again.

i can discover the following cards with out issue
slot 1 - Ethernet
Slot 3 - IB32
Slot 4 - OW16
Slots 5-11 IA16
When I attempt to discover any of the output cards in slots 12-15 the system states the card is faulted 16#0203

this appeared to stabilize with an extended RPI of 100ms, this was an incorrect observation

I can not add an OA16 output card to this system. The OW16 configures correctly.

Can anyone please help me?

Last edited:
Exactly what do you mean by "discovering" a module: do you mean browsing with RSLinx, or creating a module in the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree, or something else ?

There's no reason a particular type of discrete output module wouldn't make a connection.

The unknown age and provenance of the hardware makes me a little uneasy. Have you audited the modules for the "Atmel 64" issue from a few years ago?

Your description suggests that the controller is not faulting or clearing the user program, but rather losing the I/O connection across the backplane to the I/O modules.

ControlLogix backplane connections are generally very stable, so intermittent failures suggest bent pins, a defective CPU, or a defective backplane.

in control logix5000
I/O tree project configuration of all modules

I can attempt to put the 1756-OA16 any point in the rack and it will have a 16#0203 fault.

All other cards in slots and "discovered" by the system run and the I/O indicator is "OK"

"create" a 1756-OA16 slot in the rack and the I/O indicator shows "I/O not responding" and the card properties indicate a 16"0203 comm fault

Last edited:
OK, I pulled the CPU removed the battery, let it sit overnight, reinstalled the battery, downloaded the same program, all OA16 cards are being seen and I/O is "OK" with no green flashing "OK" indicators on the 1756-OA16 card face plates

can anyone explain why the comms fail?