Error (Code 16#0203) 1756-ENBT

jrsnydley

Hello everyone,

I am trying to set up some produced/consumed tags between two controllers. Here is the current setup that I have:

PLC #1
Slot 0 - 1756-L72 (revision 21.11)
Slot 1 - 1756-ENBT (revision 3.1)

PLC #2
Slot 0 - 1756-L73 (revision 20.12)
Slot 8 - 1756-ENBT (revision 3.9)

I added the ENBT for PLC #2 into the I/O config for PLC #1 and got the (Code 16#0203) - Connection Timed Out. I have already verified that the configuration in the module properties matches the physical hardware and that all module identities match. Any ideas?

I'm assuming you are seeing that error when going online with PLC #1. And, that the error code is for the remote ENBT, not the local one or the remote L73.

That error means that it cannot see the device. It is a comms or configuration issue. Double-check the IP address settings and make sure the slot # is set correctly for the ENBT in PLC #2.

If the remote ENBT is not erroring and the error code is instead for the CPU that rules out an IP issue.

OG

Yes, the error is on the 1756-ENBT for PLC #2 that has been added to the configuration for PLC #1. I have double checked the IP address, the slot number, chassis size, and firmware revision in the properties for the faulted ENBT. If I open RSLinx, I can see the ENBT module for both PLC #1 and PLC #2 communicating properly on our plant network and can get online with both CPU's over the network.

Ok, so the 203 error means that there is something there, but it is not responding as expected.

If you can, delete the consumed tag and see if the error goes away. See if the error goes away when we remove the produce/consume. If it does, then the problem is in the consume tag. No need to remove the produce tag(s)

OG

I have not created the produced/consumed tags yet. I was working on adding the CPU's into the I/O config. That's as far as I made it before this fault occured

Open the Property window for the remote ENBT module. If possible, please post a picture of that screen. If not, describe all the settings on the General tab

OG

Ok, that looks straight forward enough. The remote chassis is a 13-slot chassis then. Sometimes people forget to change that from the default of 17. And the Ethernet module is in slot 8 (the ninth slot).

Can you supply IP addresses and subnet masks for the two ENBT modules. I see the remote modules IP here. And of course, verify what the setting ar ein Logix software to what is actually scrolling on the LED displays.

OG

Ok, so in reading a little on this, it seems like the connection is being established but for some reason they aren't able to exchange data.

One recommendation was to change the Rack Connection setting from Rack Optimized (the default) to None.

OG

Not really. It mentions an "incomplete data transfer". The only reason I would think that might cause an error would be if the chassis size setting didn't match the actual chassis size.

I've used Produce and Consume for years and never ran into an issue with that setting. At least not that I can recall.

OG

I have this exact issue on a produced/consumed paid between an L83E (v30) and an L32E (v16). After spending countless hours trying to figure it out; I'm just going to use MSG instruction since the data isn't critical. I believe that the firmware has something to do with it in my case, but I haven't had any issues with any PLCs higher than v16. That being said, I suspect that the cause may be the firmware of the ethernet module. Could be the same in your case.

Just saw this on a Tech Note.....

Note: Change the communication module Properties --> Comms Format to None. The "Rack Optimization" connection is not needed if you are only consuming tags. Sometimes rack optimization can cause these communications to error.

OG