current and volteg sources

ashu31godbole

may be its basic and follish to asking this question ...bt i m still confuse different b/w current and volteg sources , we used to say ac 230 volt (in india 50 hz) comes in our home is current source ...or not i m confuse then wot is AC current and vtg surces and wot is dC current and vtg surces
pl explain with examples.......

You are asking for a Physics 101 course in a software forum.

I'm late for work, but I'll offer a tiny tidbit: You should be thinking of current and voltage as separate aspects of a single entity, rather than as separate entities. There can be no electrical current (AC or DC) without applied voltage.

The common usage of electrical terms is generally nonsense and not to be relied on.

In technical terms voltage is a measurement of the difference in electrical potential between two points. It is the driving force behind electrical current, analogous to pressure in a water system.

Current is a measurement of how much electricity is moving from one point to another. It is analogous to flow rate in a water system.

If you are involved in a technical area you need to go back to the books and get the basics right. Trying to practice the automation profession without knowing the above is irresponsible and dangerous.

If you are a non-technical person that just stumbled into this site I hope this helps.

when electricity is first explained the analogy of a water through a hose and a tap. (AC or DC)
the supply Pressure of the water is the voltage
The Current is the Flow of water through the hose.
- limited by the hose and tap diameter
AND
if a nozzle is fitted the restriction through the nozzle or tap is the resistance.
-
the Nozzle also has analogies for Diodes - not gonna explain that here

...but I'm still confused by the difference between current and voltage sources.
Reading between your lines or reading your unwritten lines that maybe you should have written:

What is the difference between an ideal current source, and an ideal voltage source? The "ideal" (what we would like to have if the laws of physics could be suspended) current source would be one with infinite internal resistance, so that it could deliver constant current into a variable circuit load. The ideal voltage source would be one with 0 internal resistance, so that changes in the circuit load would not cause a change in the supply voltage.

Let me Google that for you: "current source vs voltage source"
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/visource.html

Last edited: