Existing ControlLogix 1756-L61

Christoph

Hey Everyone. I have just installed a new remote rack to
an existing controlLogix system. It is rack 6. The last card is an analog input module flex I/O 1794-IX4OX2. How do you program MSG blocks to get this working, never used MSG blocks like this before not sure haw to handle this.

As usual, need more detail.

What type of network are you using? Ethernet? ControlNet? RIO?

Since you mention MSG blocks you make me think you may have an RIO network (which is a different conversation all together).

For Ethernet/ControlNet once you drop it into the hardware tree and download to the it's just like any other IO. (Granted ControlNet needs scheduling).

I agree that this is probably a RIO network, using a 1756-DHRIO as the scanner and FLEX I/O adapters.

The analog module is probably a 1794-IE4XOE2, with four analog input channels and two analog output channels.

Start with the User Manual for the 1794-IE4XOE2 and figure out what data format and sizes you will need to send using MSG instructions.

You want both the User Manual and the Installation Instructions, which covers all the 'high density' analog modules in the FLEX I/O family.

Installation Instructions:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1794-in100_-en-p.pdf

User Manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1794-um062_-en-p.pdf

Start by doing a repeating MSG for a Block Transfer Read with a length of 5 INT words. You'll see the "PU" bit true in that BTR, which indicates you need to send at least one BTW, which both sets the Output values and configures the module.

In general you'll want to interlock the BTR and the BTW so they alternate, rather than executing simultaneously.

The addressing should be fairly straightforward; you know the Rack Number, the Group number, and the Slot number.

Post details, including the ControlLogix program or a screenshot.

About the FLEX adapter and module; is it using "1-slot" addressing ?

What physical position is this analog module in ?

I'm just guessing that maybe Group 6 isn't really the correct target.

Last edited:
Hi

Could you also post the Details of the dip switches in the rio adapter
And on the rio card itself

Donnchadh