Electrical Drawing Software

Leeroy

I'm looking to purchase some sort of electrical software in order to produce electrical drawings, pretty simple so far right? My question is there any software out there for around $1000. Currently I have a program called draftsight so I could build an electrical library in there but maybe there are already blocks that exist?

Before you ask what kind of drawings I would need to produce, I would need a program similar to AutoCad E, Solidworks E, etc. Basically able to produce drawings for a full machine (multiple presses, rack line for plating, painting with multiple robots, and the list goes on...). So this would include multiple panels, PLC's, feeders or whatever may be on that machine. A program like MS Visio or similar to that is a little to simple...

I am wondering what kind of programs are out there that I may be able to use, or what you are currently using. I have come across a program called elwin, but haven't got a chance to look at it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: Should also note that maybe something less than $1000 is unreasonable, as most electrical software packages I know of are more than this.

Last edited:
you might look at autocad lt and buy the electrical symbol package. i would look first, ask questions, then buy if its what you need.

we have a package at work, but i haven't used it.

i have a library for autocad that i have worked on.
its custom made for a 34 x 22 size drawing and plotted on an 11 x 17 at 1/2 scale.

you might want to build your own or ask if there is a library
already around.
regards,
james

For $1000, your options are limited.

Autocad E is great if you spend a lot more and a few hundred dollars on good training to use it properly out of the box.

I tried migrating from AutoCad Lite with my own system for numbering and symbols, and then tried to learn "hands on" how to customize components and make use or cross referencing and RSLogix database integration...It is nice, but learn how to use it, and expect to spend many hours in strategy mode before doing any real work.

I would lean away from AutoCad for price constraints.

As for home use, I bought a $99 version of Intellicad that served me well for many years, and worked with my hand made system for symbols and attributes. This was strictly for line drawings and piecing together 2 and 3 views of panel layouts. 3-d was not required and would have been more money. Being an Autocad clone, complete with some LISP support, and I was trained in r14, it was a no brainer.

I think they still have an owner (intellicad and cousins) and an electrical add on package.

Note that with enough elbow grease, you can do what you are needing with cheaper software, it's all in setting your self up well before you get to digging into a project of this scope.

Soon, I will be in need of a poor man's drawing system myself.

EDIT: here is the 1st result for Intellicad:
http://intellicadms.com/site/

Pricing is still really good:
https://store.intellicadms.com/index.php?cPath=23

Last edited:
DraftSight is a good 2D CAD package, compatible with AutoCad, and it is free. There are no "Electrical" helpers though, but it is at least a solid CAD package. I use it at home for my drawings there.

i do like elwin, work every day with it.
blocks have to be remade, from dxf, but is possible
it is cheap and makes all kinds of lists needed.
works like eplan, not acad E.
when having draftsight, you can import the blocks also as dxf, and as dwg, you will however miss the database functions and the cross reference in the drawings.
and yes elwin is a dwg compatible, but as you export you will not be able to change the references.
i always print the files and then rework the papers again in my elwin.
and print them again as build, or as changed.

I started testing a freeware package today. QElectroTech does look promising, but I have to test a little longer to see if it can compete with SEE Electrical.

Kind regards,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying out Elwin and have two questions for any of you who have used it. Is there a way to rotate the logic symbols? Most symbols such as a fuse, motor, relay, and others want a vertical line but I would like to run a line horizontally instead.

Also, is there more symbols if you register? It would be great if I can make more on my own or if you register they give you more.

Again, thanks everyone for the replies. Will have to check out the rest people have suggested.

So you can rotate symbols, right clicking the symbol gives you an option to rotate 90º, 180º or 270º. You can create/modify symbols in the database file, you will have to copy the existing and call it something else as the main database cannot be modified.

I am trying to make an overload symbol (attached is image), is there a way to make a radius circle/arc, not a full circle? Or is there a way to insert an image?

overload symbol.png

Last edited:
leeroy
yes you can rotate symbols, right click on symbol and rotate (it will use another symbol as made in the database
and yes you can make your own symbols in a database.
copy the used one to a different name not to mess up the original one.
then add a symbol. first thing to do is follow the instruction in the help file.
yes you get a nice range of symbols available.

i use caddy see electrical too, as this was costing me 100 euros for a basic version. but it is limited in pages
so for bigger ones i use elwin.

My experience with AutoCAD Electrical soured me on the idea of parametric electrical design altogether. There are just too many variables out there in the real world for a package to take it all into account. ACADe basically constrained me into it's neat little box, and everything that fell outside the box (and when you're a maintenance/engineer in a manufacturing plant, just about everything you see falls outside the box), while technically can be done, will not be easy nor quick to accomplish. I honestly can't think of a situation where Parametric design software would solve any problem on the electrical design side of things.

If you're an in-house end-user, you're going to spend just as much if not more time struggling to get the software to do what you want than it would have took for you to just draw it.

If you're a controls contractor, you probably already have a whole cad library set up and an innumerable amount of jobs you can copy-paste from. Plus you're going to run into a lot of curve-balls and will have to wrestle with the software to make it do what you want.

If you're an OEM machine builder, the majority of your cad work is going to be copying the last job, making a few modifications, and changing the title blocks.

So who does that leave? People who don't like to spend a few extra hours checking cross references?

For your price range, I'd definitely look at AutoCAD LT. Last I knew it was under $1,000 if not close to it.