electrical drawing software

rob63

Hi, i am looking for an electrical drawing software package. I just need to be able to draw basic wiring diagrams. I would go for autocad electrical but it's way too expensive for our budget and fairly difficult to grasp from what i hear if you're not using it all the time.

Does anyone have a cheaper recommendation it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles...

Any CAD software

I use ACAD lite and have created a block library on my own, drawn how I want it. But any CAD package that lets you save blocks or objects is fine for general use. You just have to build material list and wire number lists yourself.

i am using both qelectrotech and designspark
qet for drawing as it has no learning , has no component **** easy to make own symbols.

I've used Visio Electrical (it's an add-on package to the full blown Visio) and Smart Draw. Smart Draw is nice because easier to use plus you can import DXF drawings from (AutoCAD) or even just plain PDF objects and it converts them to line drawings for you (at least it used to, I don't see that feature listed any longer).

http://www.smartdraw.com/circuit-diagram/electrical-diagram-software.htm

Neither are free. Smart Draw has a free demo download, but that will not include the electrical symbols unfortunately. But for $197 its a nice package that is useful for more than just electrical.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with elecworks? I've seen a few threads (circa 2007) with a few members of the forum complaining about lots of different issues..

Off of topic but, I did it myself by RM-Basic (Old HP-Basic).
Later I will do it as almost "freeware" by Java or Python.

Design procedure:
1. Find out all field devices and equipment for cubicles etc.
2. I/O-List. Now I know QTY of I/O.
3. Designing cabling and cubicles. Picks up devices and equipment from d-base.
4. Program generates equipment list with I/O-Comments and time-stamps.
5. At last, circuit- and one-line diagrams.
6. Program makes Error list. Every el.positions in Circuits Diagrams must be on the field or in the some cubicle and vice versa.

www.seetra.fi select "Sähkö"

Qelectrotech has a bit of a learning curve, at least it did for me, but once I got used to it, I like it a lot. I'm just getting started with DesignSpark Electrical, and it seems to be pretty intuitive.

Will.