small footprint drive

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am going to hire 2 helpers. I am going to put a small training system together. Probably use the following hardware.
Micrologix 1100
RedLion G306A
Some relays, sensors etc.

I am looking for a small AC drive. I worked on a couple a few years ago that where not much larger than 2 or 3 packs of cigarettes stacked together. I would like modbus rtu onn the drive but it is not required.

120 vac single phase in would be nice

Last edited:
In the same, micro drive size as mendonsy's suggestion, AD's GS1 drives are the smallest I've used, but I'm not a fan of them. I've had a few die in the field, so I've stopped using them. Might be fine for a trainer (they're cheap enough). I guess if they die, it's good way to teach troubleshooting?... :ROFLMAO:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...l)/GS1_Drive_Units_(120_-z-_230_VAC)/GS1-10P2

When I need a small, inexpensive ($130 from Galco) drive that runs on 120V single-phase, I use the KBVF-13 chassis from KB Electronics. Same footprint as a DC drive chassis, just thicker. There is a Modbus option (~$50), but I've never tried it.

http://www.kbelectronics.com/Variable_Speed_AC_Drives_Inverters/AC_Drives_Chassis.htm

🍻

-Eric

Hi

I used some yawaskawa dives in the last while, great price, small size and some great comms cards that connect to Ab no problem and good manauls and good tech support this side of the pond anyway.

Donnchadh

In the same, micro drive size as mendonsy's suggestion, AD's GS1 drives are the smallest I've used, but I'm not a fan of them. I've had a few die in the field, so I've stopped using them. Might be fine for a trainer (they're cheap enough). I guess if they die, it's good way to teach troubleshooting?... :ROFLMAO:
-Eric

Not to hijack this thread, but:
Eric,
Do you know why the GS1's died? I like them for small projects, but I'll start looking elsewhere if they're flaky. I like and use the GS2 regularly with good results.

-rpoet

Jeff,
I've been buying small AB Powerflex drives on Ebay, 125 single input for less than 100 bucks. They are not "state of the art" but representative of what is out there.
I also found some 34 frame 3 phase motors. Now I have some small and relatively light trainers.
Good luck.