RSLinx cannot run as service

Abdul03

Dear Friends,

I am running RSLinx on windows server 2008 and I am unable to start RSLinx as service. I have tried to start using RSLinx control panel, but it couldn't start. However, I was successfully able to start RSLinx as a service earlier and I am facing this problem since past one week.

But I can still able to start RSLinx as an application.

Could any one suggest me what could be the known issue and why do you think I am facing this problem, that would be really appreciated.

One more thing, I have unistalled RSLinx and installed it back again but still the same problem.

Thank you for your time.

Dear Jean,

Thank you for the reply, the RSLinx service was set to automatic but it was stopped, under services in computer management. However, when I try to start it, it says starting for a while and then fails.

the error is something like

" Windows could not start the RSLinx classic service on local computer
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. "

Thank you,

TheWaterBoy

"Perhaps the permissions on the service dialog are not correct to run as a service?"

I did not get this, could you please elaborate it for me.

Thank you

jkerekes

The version of RSLinx is 2.59.02 and yes the operating system is 64 bit.

Thank you

I thought at one time on 64 bit systems, you couldn't run it as a service. Or maybe what it is you can run it as a service, but you can't see the Linx UI. Was this working in the past. I haven't used Linx Classic on too many 64 bit systems yet. I know I could run it as a service on a Windows 7 x64 bit system and have DDE work.

Yeah the UI works absolutely OK, only it won't start as a service. I have to have RSLinx running as a service, since a billing software which is running on the same machine is dependent on it.

As I said, it was working fine couple of days ago. I ran in to this situation now.

Thank you

TheWaterBoy
"Perhaps the permissions on the service dialog are not correct to run as a service?"
I did not get this, could you please elaborate it for me.

These are under the same dialog as the service startup options. Usually set to "interactive". Changing them to the credentials of a known administrator can verify that is not the problem.

Unless you have an IT dept that has gotten overly zealous, it's far more likely that RSlinx has a problem of its own. Possibly brought on by a Windows Update. Did you have an update since it was working?

Thank you for the reply, are you talking about this check box which says "allow service to interact with desktop"

Please find the attached image.

yes I think there have been a windows update recently.

Thank you

RSLinx.jpg

Try setting the service to run under a known administrator account and see if it starts properly then. I have seen times where the system account just won't work. Yes, I know it used to work, but just try and see what happens.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I have tried everything and at last I uninstalled it again and installed a newer version i.e., upgraded from version 2.58 to 2.59 and it works absolutely fantastic.

However, I also believe the software what I was installing earlier could be the problem.

Thanks to all once again.