RSLinx Cannot see 1756-ENET/B

NeilH

Hi Guys.

I am trying to get access to an older chassis to see a 1756-55 processor, the chassis has the older 1756-ENET card, Linx cannot see it using the ethernet devices driver. I found its IP address via arp, and can ping it. Also its page comes up in the browser and seems totally fine showing the chassis contents etc.

Ive cleared the harmony cache, did not resolve the issue.

Linx is seeing the other device on the network OK with the EthiP driver, which is a 1794-aent.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Neil

Linx is seeing the other device on the network OK with the EthiP driver, which is a 1794-aent.

Older devices were not EthernetIP compatible.

You might have to add a regular Ethernet Devices driver.

In Configure Driver add the IP address of the ENET card and make sure that driver is running.

EDIT: I have to do this frequently for older series SLC5/05's too.

older devices were not ethernetip compatible.

You might have to add a regular ethernet devices driver.

In configure driver add the ip address of the enet card and make sure that driver is running.

Edit: I have to do this frequently for older series slc5/05's too.
+1

If you ever get out in the field with older controls that are a SLC 5/03 or 5/04 with the NET-ENI adapters for serial DF-1 to Ethernet a lot of them were not Eth/IP compatible either.

A nitpicky clarification:

These modules do use "EtherNet/IP", to the extent that they use the modern ControlLogix Ethernet protocol, rather than the SLC-500/PLC-5E "CSPv4" protocol. They use TCP Port 44818 for messaging, and the later 1756-ENET Series B modules can even run cyclic I/O connections.

What they don't support is the broadcast "List Identity" command, which is what the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Classic uses to browse a LAN and find the modern ControlLogix devices that do.

That's why you have to enter their IP address manually in an Ethernet Devices driver in RSLinx Classic, just like older SLC-5/05 and PLC-5E controllers.

A module that doesn't support that browse feature is probably 20+ years old. It can very probably be field upgraded.