Remote Access

YoungWint

For a project I was wanting to look at the possibility of some form of remote access that could be installed, temporarily, during commissioning and removed to use on the next project.

This is on a Siemens platform and previously this would be teleservice or such like.

The idea is dial in from off-site and gain access to the PLC program via the Ethernet port.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

There are several different ways to do this.

The first question I think you need to answer is 'how do I anticipate connecting at the client site' ?

Some sites you can run your own DSL or cable Internet connection. Some will help you open a port in their own firewall to connect over the Internet.

Some sites will have analog telephone lines.

Some sites you will have good enough cellular telephone service. The actual type of device then strongly depends on the cellular carriers in that area; you're going to use different devices in Tokyo versus Berlin.

Most connections of any type will use TCP/IP, whether it's over a dialup line or the Internet. So there's going to be a router, and there's going to be a Virtual Private Network device of some sort.

Cradlepoint cellular routers are popular. Rockwell's own 9300-RADES is one of the few dial-in networking devices available. Or you could set up a small server of your own running Windows or Linux to provide VPN services.

Again: start with the physical connection and progress from there.