Help on ZEN program

Hi to all.
At my new job, they asked me to write a simple program using an Omron ZEN. The software they are using is Zen support software version 3.00. I have never worked with a ZEN. I am used to Allen Bradley. The program is very simple in which one coil actuates for 40 seconds every hour then in an hour another coil actuates for 40 seconds on a continues loop. So the way the program is suppose to work is in an hour one coil actuates for 40 seconds then shuts off. In another hours the second coil actuates for 40 seconds then shuts off. And after another hour the first one actuates again for 40 seconds then shuts off. This cycle is suppose to be on a continues loop. Any help on how I should write this program would be of great help. Thank you everyone.

I usually fight with programmable relays, because the logic doesn't always operate like a 'normal' PLC. I don't know if standard flip-flop logic works in a Zen, but try this...

|  TIM 2                +---------+
|---]/[-----------------| TIM 1 |
| | |
| | 1 HOUR |
| +---------+
| TIM 1 +---------+
|---] [-----------------| TIM 2 |
| | |
| | 40 SEC. |
| +---------+
|
| TIM 1 TOGGLE COIL 1
|---] [-----]/[------------( )
|
| TIM 1 TOGGLE COIL 2
|---] [-----] [------------( )
|
| TIM 2 TOGGLE TOGGLE
|---] [-----]/[---+--------( )
| |
| TIM 2 TOGGLE |
|---]/[-----] [---+

Timers 1 and 2 gets you the off/on repeating cycle you want. While the T1 'done' bit is on, the output will be on. The TOGGLE bit is a standard flip-flop that alternates each time T2 expires (that 'should' create a one-shot). The TOGGLE selects which output is enabled each cycle.

Like I said, I'm not sure if a Zen will process this like PLC, but it's worth playing with. Just set the timers to short values for testing.

🍻

-Eric

Thank you very much for your help Eric. I ended up using a few timers to make the logic flow in a loop. I think they will be happy with the program. I learned a few things on how to use this software also. Have a great weekend. :site::p

I ended up using a few timers to make the logic flow in a loop.
If you used more than 2 timers to "make the logic flow in a loop", then you made it less efficient. Because the ZEN has a built-in alternator function for its output instructions, Eric's toggle bit can be even simpler. Otherwise Eric's program is perfect to make Coil 1 go on for 40 seconds after 1 hour, then Coil 2, then repeat the cycle endlessly.

PS: In the attached program, for testing purposes on the ZEN Simulator, I set T1 = 10 seconds, and T2 = 4 seconds. It is a simple edit to change the Presets back to T1=60 minutes and T2=40 seconds.

Maintenance Man 2-Output Toggle.jpg

Attachments

• Maintenance Man 2-Output Toggle.ZIP
    1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: