Trouble with 1771 IFE input!!

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Got called out to check out a problem with an amp read out on the winview HMI for a 150 hp motor. Using AB PLC5 1771 IFE analog input card. When i look under I/O config and pull up that module there is a zero in the data column under ch.16. I got an electrician to hook up a signal generator to validate that the card is still sending data to the PLC and i'm getting nothing. It says on the side of the module that terminal 19 is input 16 on a single ended signal and terminal 20 is module common. He had the signal generator hooked up positive to 19 and negative to 20 and set to source 4-20mA. Is this hooked up incoorectly or is there something else im missing? What does it mean when a data value is highlighted in yellow? also is there a way i can force a data number into the column so i can make sure the operator see's the value in the HMI? thanks again, this day has been a nightmare

That terminal number looks right.

Was the channel working before?

What is the milliamp reading of the actual input when connected?

What was connected to it? Are you sure it was a 4to20ma signal?

Writing a number for your HMI would depend on what address the HMI is polling. Is it polling the register directly from the card or is the data being buffered.

If you can post the .RSP file zip it first. Tell us which slot the card is in if more then one analog module.

When the data is highlighted in yellow it means the data is underrange.

Last edited:
Yellow highlighted data means that the respective values are not within the ratings and/or settings of the respective point.
You will not be able to "force" data into an "input" memory address; if the HMI is referencing that particular memory partition there is no way around it but modifying the HMI applicationn in order to reference another unused memory address containing the data you wish to "force".

I tried to attach the file i dont know if it worked, but the I/O is Rack 0 group 3 slot 0 ch.16 labeled BE-02 Amps word N43:19. this terminal was working before, apparently a month ago it quit and they wanted to wait until a shut down before i looked into it. There was a 4-20 mA current transdeucer connected to it.

Looks like N43:19 is being converted to a decimal value ( N79:74) in lad 6 rung 87.

You could AFI that rung and then write to register N79:74 to test your HMI.

data.jpg

Last edited:
Well after battling trying to figure out whats wrong with that channel I determined It to be faulty. I wrote a value in N79:74 and the HMI seen it. I changed channels to rack 0 group 4 slot 0 channel 16. This channel was already scaled for what i needed ( lucky ). I changed the source address in the FRD from N43:19 to N44:19 and put the signal generator on the channel and everything checked out. Thanks for the help every one, this is the 2nd analog chnanel that has failed in 7 days!

(y)(y)

voltage spikes maybe, lightning no. 50% of our plant power is generated through steam turbines that push generators so voltage swings can occur quite easily.