Avoiding EIP Belly Flop

spaceacealpha

Can anyone confirm my thinking here. I'm designing a new system using EIP as the communication and never done this before.

The plan is this:
SLC 5/05 frn 11.0 Series A as the master.

AC500EIP (MarkFirst Print Controller) Verified uses Explicit Messaging over EIP. Sending commands using Set Attributes. Receiving some feedback using Get Attributes.

STP-EIP-E2 (Bimba Original Line Electric Controller) Rep says it does EIP and has program examples. I haven't seen this yet. I'm looking for some feedback info and possibly control signals.

1761-NET-ENI to ML1000. Sending one measily integer value one way.

From what I can tell I need to set up Multihops and EEM commands for each device on the 5/05. The 1761 has its own setup to the ML1000.

Does this sound right? Most of the time I'm wrong and end up wasting time and money.

Thanks, Darren

In general, you're going to want to use CompactLogix for an EtherNet/IP application instead of an SLC-5/05.

The CompactLogix can use cyclic I/O connections across EtherNet/IP, which is the most common way to exchange data with third party devices.

The SLC-5/05, MicroLogix 1100, and MicroLogix 1400 only do unscheduled Messaging and cannot under any conditions create an I/O connection.

The SLC-5/05 needs to have "Series C" firmware... I don't know if a Series A controller (which would also have a 10 MB Half-duplex only port) can run the Series C firmware that supports the EEM message.

The Bimba controller would be my concern, too. I've never heard of it and it's not easily findable on their website, so who knows what it actually supports.

In general when you're looking to have "feedback and control", you need cyclic I/O connections, which means ControlLogix or CompactLogix as the controller.

The 1769-L16ER-xxxx CompactLogix should be less expensive than an SLC-5/05. The amount of I/O, or spare parts, or programming software availability may be a consideration for you as well.