AB PLC2 Change/Upgrade

ADoozer

Hi All.

I'm working on a site with an old tetra pack tr7 filling machine which has a PLC2/30 PLC installed.

A couple of questions...

We are using an old dos program to connect to the PLC (PLC-2 Ladder Logistics - Revision 3.43S) but we cannot display any comments - How do we turn on comments in the program?

Also, is it possible to save/exit the program without the "Search" key?

The available files we have are *.XRF, *.RDS, *.RAD, *.PTR, *.PRG, *.HDS, *.DES, *.BKD, *.AVD, *.INf and *.DAT - I assume one of these files should contain the comments?

Does anybody know what the file extensions are?

The customer also wants a price to upgrade the PLC2 to a PLC5 (which they have spares of in there stores). From Googling and talking to the rep I believe we can:-

Put 1771-ASB modules in the 2* PLC2 I/O racks
Remove the PLC2 rack and replace it with a PLC rack/PSU/PLC.
Send the program off to **************.com or somewhere similar

Has anyone done this conversion before (and can still remember how it went) - any pitfalls/caveats etc etc.

I'm in a bit over my head here, I was only 6 when this machine was installed.

Regards
Dave

I did a few a couple years back. Had no Comments or Descriptions. Luckly had printout of program. There are print commands available and one option is print to file. You can also choose options to print Rung comments, Description, Cross reference etc. If you want a Hardcopy you will need to find an OLD Printer. The Print to File works best.

If I remember correctly The .DAT contains the Descriptions and you can open it with notepad or wordpad or excel. It's CSV format. Believe it or not you can import and export your descriptions.

cwal61

thanks for the info, I have found an old paper copy of the program dated 1986, but there are a few changes in the actual program that aren't documented...

I managed to get the program to display some comments that I have added but it only seems to display the last line (3 lines of 8 chars plus 1 aux line of 8 chars)

I also figured out the exit/save feature - the help says press Search-0, however search is F1...doh!!

Learning by doing is FUN!! LOL

Regards
Dave