Other 'rugged' laptops compared to Field PGs

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

We are looking at purchasing a new laptop for work. Our old one (a normal Dell) has died.

We would like something a bit more 'rugged' but the Field PGs seem extremely expensive for what they are?

I've had a quick search of the net and found these ToughBooks (http://business.panasonic.co.uk/com...ng-the-full-toughbook-range/view-all-products)

Anyone any experience with either ToughBooks or other alternatives to Field PGs?

We already have the software and licenses and so just need the machine.

Thanks ;-)

I like the "medium rugged" computers better than the "Mil-spec, police-duty, outdoor, waterproof" ones.

My 'ruggedized' Latitude ATG has outlasted two regular Latitudes, an Inspiron, and a Toshiba Satellite. I've literally worn the ink off the keys on the bottom row.

The weakness of the Latitude ATG620 turned out to be temperature; it was stowed in 100F+ temperatures for a week or so and the sealing compound around the screen liquefied and ran out, making everything sticky and leaving bubbles on the screen. The screen still looks fine (and I learned that the keyboard is solvent-resistant) except for the bubbles.

I just buy something under $1000 and replace it every two years.

I've been using Lenovos recently and love them.

Which models of Lenovo do you use ?

The ThinkPads I've looked at have the LAN plug on the forward left corner, which seems to be an awful location; only the forward right corner would be worse. We still use a lot of hardwired Ethernet and I don't want that plug jutting out from the side of the computer.

Do any of the Thinkpads have a LAN plug on the back ?

I'm using a Lenovo T530 right now. It's decent. The machines I work on a pretty big and sometimes you have to walk around a bit while doing comissionning. I set up a wireless network and do my commissionning work while holding the laptop by hand... I gotta say it's not exactly TABLET size but it seems pretty good for automation people on the move.

I'm using a Lenovo T530 right now. It's decent. The machines I work on a pretty big and sometimes you have to walk around a bit while doing comissionning. I set up a wireless network and do my commissionning work while holding the laptop by hand... I gotta say it's not exactly TABLET size but it seems pretty good for automation people on the move.

Looks just like my old R61i. It lived lot of things and is still in good condition. I prefer machines that have separate numeric keypad, as it is really often used.

I really like my Panasonic Toughbook CF-52. It came with Win 7 Pro (with an XP Pro CD as well), a real serial port, wireless and Ethernet LAN (Ethernet and serial port is on the back), and is rugged as the day is long. Not as big a screen as some (15.4" widescreen), but I use it for programming, not HMI, so it does exactly what I need, and doesn't weigh a ton.

+1 on the Dell Precision.

I have had 2 of them and the old one (3 YO) still works. It has been handed down to my new hire.

I have looked at the "rugged" style of laptops like the Toughbook. The problem was that they were almost bullet proof but their price was out of site. At the price they wanted I could almost but 3-4 regular laptops. I normally only keep a laptop for 3 years tops. There is no way I am going to ruin 1 a year. I will admit that I take very good care of my stuff so maybe I am not your average field guy.

These days I am convinced that if you get a good laptop with a Solid State Drive and use a back up service like Carbonite, that is about as good as it gets. That is what I do now and I have been very happy with the results.

I got my Toughbook over 3 years ago from CDW for ~$1500. Admittedly higher than Dell and the like, but it has proven itself. I really baby my gear as well, but some of our techs are not as careful. With the membrane-sealed keyboard and shock-mounted HD, it really will take abuse and keep going.

That is a very good price for a Toughbook. The units I was getting prices on a few years ago were running from $4,000 to $6,000 depending on what you wanted.

$1500 is about the price of any decent Laptop these days.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated. Our problem is that our craft guys don't really look after our laptops very well. Will do a bit more research before deciding but I think that the price might make the decision for me. As has been said, you can buy a few normal laptops for the price of a 'rugged' one.
Thanks again ;-)

Hi
If giving laptops to 'shift engineer' types I decided to give each shift their own laptop.. this made them responsible for it and they seemed to look after it better than a general one they all used. I gave them a read only access for machine programs and write access to a buffer area where they could store stuff for me to transfer into the machine program area.

It obviously incurs licencing costs etc but worked well for me.

For my own laptop I typically guy a Dell Precision and replace it every 3 yrs or so (but tend to keep the old one in case of issues with old kit)

Cheers

I really like my Panasonic Toughbook CF-52. It came with Win 7 Pro (with an XP Pro CD as well), a real serial port, wireless and Ethernet LAN (Ethernet and serial port is on the back), and is rugged as the day is long. Not as big a screen as some (15.4" widescreen), but I use it for programming, not HMI, so it does exactly what I need, and doesn't weigh a ton.

Me too I have the same. I especially like the built in Handle which is very portable.