Recommendation for Network Testing Tool?

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm running more and more into troubleshooting control issue that's caused by bad network wiring, IP assignment, switch.. etc.. so now I'm looking for some kind of portable network troubleshooting tool that does more than simple continuity check.

Of course, budget is tight so value would be important. I been to Fluke's show and Tell a while back and I remember them showing Linkrunning, Aircheck, and Onetouch. All seems really cool but I'm interested in the expereience of folks here.

My requirements are follows..

- Inspect BOOTP/DHCP request.
- Cable signal quality, copper and fiber.
- Wireless ability(nice to have but not a must).
- Validate PoE.
- Cable trace/switch port trace.

Oh, also found this thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=62929

mentioning NetTool, seems like an older tool and I'm not sure what the major difference between that and LinkRunner.

so, what do you guys use and why?

It seems that you want the Swiss Army knife of network tools. I'd suggest individual tools to handle each task. It would likely be less expensive and you will probably have more functionality in each test area.

My most powerful networking tool is a hub and a laptop with wireshark. (my switches do not support port mirroring)

My switches??

The brand name dates them...3Com

They are largely unmanaged, but work just fine. Port mirroring is not supported.

Thanks for feedback. I'm considering the Fluke Linkrunner because it handles fiber as well.

For wireless, I want something that can track down to the source and it looks like Fluke Aircheck would fit the bill but probably too much $ for our needs. The metageek product seems would work as well but there's not enough info on their website. I also found tips for using NetStumpler which is free to track down wifi so I'll try that first.

I used an old hub (not a switch) buyed on ebay.
I works.
difficulty now is to know th content of the messages.
first message is: ARP -->who is?
second ARP -->i am
the then next ? is tmore difficult know the meanings