PLC Networking and Monitoring

TheCaptain2000

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have 1 DirectLogic, 4 Allen-Bradleys, and 2 TI-555 PLCs. I would like to have one main computer that can monitor the operations of each of these PLCs at any time simutaneously.

Currently, my plan is to integrate the proper Ethernet modules into each PLC since most of them have room for an extra card or two, while expanding where necessary, bringing all the category 6 cable into a common hub, and running cable to the PC. I am also planning to allow this same computer to constantly update a webpage that can be viewed with proper authorization from anywhere, particularly from the main office about 100 miles away.

The webpage is not my concern, nor is moving the information I collect. My question is as follows:

Does a program exist that can collect information from all these machines that the PLC is already programmed to output certain info, or do I need to be running individual programs for each type of machine (DirectSoft, TISoft, RSLogix, etc.)?

You could run any of several SCADA packages. Cimplicity, iFix, Citect, Wonderware come quickly to mind. They have the ability to communicate with multiple brands of PLC. That's assuming that all you need to do is extract data from each of the PLCs. If you want to monitor the operation of the ladder logic, you'll need the programming software for each model PLC.

Any of the SCADA software packages that are not
directly associated with a PLC brand should be able to do this.
Most can talk to dozens of different PLCs of different brands at the same time.
Just check to see that the SCADA supplier can supply drivers for
all the particular PLC models that you are using.

My main objective is to be able to extract information. Any programming changes would occur onsite at the main terminal that would be attached to all these PLCs with the appropriate programs installed.

At my facility, I currently have 2 older TI-565's, and 3 Slc 5/04's and 2 Slc 5/05's all connected to one Intellution SCADA system. The only draw back is you must purchase a driver from Intellution for each type of PLC, and you will also need RSLynx OEM. I have the 504 connected via DH+ and a KT/B card, the rest of the PLC's are using TCP/IP. I have never used it, but intellution sells a package which allows the viewing of data via HTML. I'm sure all the major SCADA vendors offer simialr packages. I am currently using a third party reporting package, which reads the SCADA database or historian and produces a report in HTML format.

So....
What you're shooting for shouldn't be difficult, I would suggest you contact a major SCADA software company and have a rep. discuss you application.

Ken Moore

Thank you Mr. Moore, I'll do just that.

I would like to read of other configurations that people, like Mr. Moore, are using successfully. So please keep them coming.

I have installed several Citect SCADA systems reading multiple PLCs etc. One system is reading Omron, Hitachi, Modbus RTU in a fire panel and Alerton BMS system via BACnet OPC server from Cimetrics. It is reading and writing to the BMS and the PLCs. The Omron PLCs also have extensive Device Net loops off them, a total of 10 loops. Mixed I/O brands on Device Net - Omron, AB etc. It works very well.

Another option I would suggest you consider is that Omron have a very inexpensive, simple but powerful SCADA system called CX-Supervisor. This SCADA can communicate with any device that has an OPC driver available. It can also use it's own built in programming language or VB to program very powerful functions.

The method of purchase is you buy the development package and then purchase a quite cheap runtime version and dongle for each project you install. The development package only has to be purchased once. By the way, to the best of my knowledge, the tag base is unlimited. It also has DDE etc etc.

Wonderware should be able to communicate with all of them. Wonderware also has a webserver app for serving your app as a web page. Also, a couple things.

First, dont use cat 6 cable. Its a scam. Cat 5e will do everything cat 6 will. And, I HIGHLY doubt that you will be running anything faster than half duplex 10baseT anyways; so, normal cat 5 will work great. Secondly, dont get anywhere near a hub. They are old, obsolete, and slow as hell. Only use switches.

Matt

While I can't speak for the monitoring software which would effectively offer you the monitoring capabilities you're seeking, I may be able to offer you a more cost effective physical hardware solution, which would satisfy your connection requirements.

******* offers the DeviceMaster RTS product line, which essentially gives you 1, 4, 8, 16, or 32 serial ports (Rs-232/422/485) to a single Ethernet connection. By installing our driver, and your monitoring software, you can collect the data at the PC via COM ports. This solution could eliminate your need for an ethernet port on each of your different PLC's. Product details can be found at the following URL: http://www.*******.com/products/hardware/dmrts.asp

For additional details, I can be reached using the following information:

Jason Reiling
******* Corp.
Industrial Applications Division Sales
763-494-4144
jason.reiling@*******.com