RedLion HMI communicate with PC

gwallee

I would like to send/receive data between a RedLion HMI and a PC. The HMI and PC are connected through ethernet. The PC is running a program that is generating coordinates (XYWrXrYrZ) that need to get sent to a robot. My plan is to use the HMI as a gateway, numbers from PC to HMI to robot.

I assume that some type of server needs to be running on the PC so that the HMI can see the PC, I'm just not sure what that is.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Last edited:
Can you expand on the type of data that you want to send and receive? What PLC do you have connected to the HMI?

If you just want to receive a file from the HMI there are a couple of ways you can do this that I know of.
1. You can set up a FTP transfer of data saved on the CF card. I have never done this but I am sure someone who has will answer.
2. You can manually upload the .csv file from the CF card via the web interface. I have done this before. Not very practical if you need constant information but nice if you just want to look at files from time to time.

As for sending data to the HMI it might be better to send the data to the PLC. Then the HMI can pick up the register that holds that data. That way you can use the data in your PLC and in the HMI.

That is just my opinion I am sure there will be more answers from people that have more experience that I do.