Configuring Prosoft MVI56-GEC to communicate with printer over TCP/IP

mich281

Hello,

We have an installation where we use CLX controllers and now we want to implement a printer that receives his ASCII commands out of our PLC program. To do this, we purchased a Prosoft MVI56-GEC Generic ASCII Ethernet Communication Module. Does anyone have experience with this module? If yes, did you just use the sample ladder that was included, or did you also set up all MSG instructions for TCP sockets, such as CreateSocket, OpenConnection,...? Do I need to do this or is the sample ladder that was included enough? There's not much information to be found, apart from the manual that was included. I have been struggling with this for a week now. All help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

mich281

Hello,

Thanks for the response, but I've read the manual from front to back already and still have problems with my connection. I will try to give more information:

We have a CLX (1756-L73) with the Prosoft Card (MVI56-GEC). The Ethernet port of the Prosoft Card is connected with a switch. The printer (Intermec PM43) is also connected with this switch. I want to talk to port 9100 of this printer with IP 192.168.104.101.

When I change my controller tags in Logix5000 for client 0 (see picture Client.png) I can get a connection (connection state = 2) for a while, but the client gets disconnected because of the ladder logic timer.

I can however not get a connection for server 0. I have configured this server as you can see in picture Server.png.

Does anyone know what the problem is or what I need to configure so I can start sending messages to the printer?

Thanks in advance.

Client.jpg Server.jpg

Hello,

Yes, I have already read this thread but do not really know if it helps my case. We use the same Prosoft MVI56-GEC card, but a different printer. I have already set up the string to send to the printer (using hyperterminal), that's not the problem. The problem is the communication of PLC -> Prosoft Card -> Printer. I see my printer as the server, since the PLC initiates the connection (so PLC is the client). The only thing I can configure for making a connection is the following:

IP address and netmask of the Prosoft Module
Server: Enable
Service Port
Client: Server IP
Service Port

My printer has a raw TCP port: 9100. This is the same port I used to communicate to the printer using HyperTerminal. So I have both service ports (client and server) set on 9100 and the Server IP for the client was set to the IP address of the printer. The status bits show that the client is connected for a short period of time, then it disconnects because of the ladder logic timer. Does anyone have experience with setting up this kind of connections or with the Prosoft card in particular?

I do not know if I need to set up MSG commands in my ladder program or if I only need to adjust the controller tags from the sample ladder program... In the manual (that I have read from front to back) they claim that the program should work without a lot of adjustments.

The best way contact ProSoft Technical Support get advice/support from them

Send your acd/ppf/cfg to them or post here probably members willing to give comment/tips/hints or sample.

Only this I can help you.

Hello,

I seem to have solved my problem. I have configured my servers and clients using the controller tags of the sample ladder program. You can see in the Client Stat tags if the connection is working. Then i just put a test string in the WriteData array of client 0. After setting the WriteData flag, the printer executed the command. So, to answer my own question: you do not need additional MSG commands, you can use the sample ladder that is provided and just set the needed flags and put values in the tags you need.

mich281

Hi, I have the same problem.

I'm trying to communicate with a Markem Image printer trough this card but I'm not able to connect.
I have configured the client IPserver with the printer's IP and I have the same service ports in server and client. I have server(0) enabled and the PLC card is working well.
But in the client.stat tags I can't see the communication established.
I have been setting the flags tags but to no effect.

I can send files to the printer through Hyperterminal.

What should i check? Any suggestion?

Thanks