ML1200 to PLC5 Comm

Oceansoul

I have a Micrologix 1200 (Bul. 1762 Micrologix 1200 Series C) which i need to connect to a PLC 5. The ML1200 has a HMI connected locally to the comm port, and i cant use the serial port on the PLC 5 (Dual redundant system using BCM/BEM Modules). Is there any kind of DH+ card avaliable for the MIcrologix??

That thread talks about using the serial ports. I was hoping to use DH+ instead due to the dual redundancy of my PLC5's.

Is your MicroLogix 1200 the model with the two serial ports, or just the one serial port ?

Do you know what protocol the HMI is using ?

Do you need to initiate messages from the MicroLogix 1200 to the PLC-5, or the other way around, or both ?

There is no plug-in module or factory-made adapter that is really suited for connected MicroLogix controllers to DH+. These are technologies separated by many years and applications.

But if you really need it, it can probably be done.

There are third-party makers of DH+ to DF1 conversion boxes that emulate the old 1770-KF2. There's some unpleasant patent litigation and personal history there, but the products do work. I recommend the original, the DL-3500 from EquusTek in Canada.

The next step is getting a DF1 full duplex port from that MicroLogix. Check out the model to see if it's a regular 1200 or a dual-port 1200R, and figure out the HMI's protocol and which direction the messages need to go. There might even need to be a port splitter involved.

I'm not actually 100% sure if its the single or dual serial port model, although I'm thinking just the 1. I know the HMI is talking DF1 as I used the same port to go online with the DF1 driver in linx.

Data wise, I want to be able to READ data FROM the ML into the PLC5. I'll look into the KF2 replica's.

If it can't be done its not the end of the world. Currently the ML runs a compressor skid, with a digital output for 'Compressor Skid Fault' into the PLC5, of which alarms on the SCADA. As this 1 alarm tends to get ignored, I've been asked if we can get all the compressor skid information on the SCADA.

Unfortunately we don't have Ethernet at this site just yet. There is a planned DH+ /PLC5 replacement project but that isn't happening for a few more years.