Re-Explanation...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Dandrade PMed me about a week ago and asked if I could give a better explanation of something I wrote about a while back. The original post is HERE, but I'll copy it here for reference...

Overview... An indexing machine that transferred product on nests through a hot stamping unit (actually 3, but let's keep it at 1 for this example). The main drive was a barrel-cam drive (AKA Camco), which provided an index, dwell, index, dwell, etc. motion with the motor running continuous, though the motor was stopped every cycle to allow a longer dwell time so the stamper could cycle (The stamping was performed during this dwell time). Therefore, the stamper's cycle time dictated the overall cycle time of the machine (parts per minute).

Since the nests were loaded by hand, the operator loading product would occasionally miss a nest, and when this empty nest reached the stamping station, the stamping cycle was inhibited. This caused the machine to speed up for that cycle, since the stamper didn't cycle.

This made it extremely difficult for an operator to load the nests, because the machine would speed up when the operator wasn't expecting it, causing them to miss even MORE nests as they got "out of rhythm" with the machine.

Simple solution was to stick a timer in the program to simulate the stamper's cycle time when the stamper wasn't cycling. BUT, the stamper's cycle time was adjusted quite often to achieve a "good" stamp as environmental conditions changed (or when they changed products).

I used the most recent "real" cycle time of the stamper as the preset of this timer, so it would "learn" any changes that were made. This worked fine, unless someone made a drastic change to the stamper's cycle time. Not a problem if the time INCREASED, as the machine would just slow down, but if the cycle time was DECREASED, the machine would speed up instantly, once again confusing the poor operator loading nests.

The final solution was to "smooth out" the transition to the faster speed. Note: I used both the "real" stamper's cycle time AND the timer to inhibit the main indexer cycle. Both had to have finished before allowing an index. When the stamper's cycle time was shorter than the current preset of the timer, I only allowed the timer's preset to decrease by 0.1 second each cycle. This way it S-L-O-W-L-Y crept up to the new, faster speed. Since the speed of the machine increased so slowly, the operator was able to adjust to the speed easily. In fact, it increased so slowly that I think some operators didn't even realize that it was running faster!

For those who watched "I Love Lucy", think of the "Lucy at the chocolate factory" episode...
:D

I don't know that I can offer a better explanation without simply repeating myself. Anyone care to take a crack at explaining it differently? Or at least shed some light on what might be confusing?... :unsure:

Or, maybe dandrade could pose specific questions on which part(s) he doesn't understand, and I'll try to answer them here. It may be something simple like "What's a hot stamper?"... :confused:

I don't like using the PM system for stuff other than quick messages or 'private' stuff. The PM editor has some 'quirks' that aren't present in the regular forum editor (like a Preview button).

beerchug

-Eric

I am going to put itens, that always consider important, is part of layer of projects.

Industrial sector: System adapted for that kind of industrys (Industry ceramic, foods, ....etc etc) and for that stuffs (plastic,wood,.... )

Funtion: Say of straight way, which task performs. Initial situation and end situation.

Structure: Identify the part and the function of each part, which task of each part.

Objective: (depending can be optional)- Describes, the goals. The problems, the variables, it critics, noticeable points that represents efficiency.

Operation: (structure) Explanation about the structure, as interage the part, the exchange of information, the joint execution and coordinated.

Operation: (human) Says about as operate the system.The human need, which necessary task carry out. Which the controls available interaction with system, sonorous, visual information. It supports, in the actions and events that user should perform and be aware, during a cycle of the system (machine or process)

After it carry out (The you describes, know that perceived the problem, after by in operation- what is amused - uncovers somewhat that did not think)

Against-Layer:
Problem presented: It causes and effect: variables, actions and events.

Solution applied: Straight description, from the employed solution.
Approach: Description of the algorithm, and main instructions from the solution.

We expect they will be able to understand well !!!

Already I search, a topic about the questions and contend to do pre-project.., but did nothing I find. It can send me the links -->MP, about.

Touché, dandrade. Touché...
bricks.gif

beerchug

-Eric

I'm sorry to say that because of economic reasons the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off :rolleyes:

Answer to the posts previous: :oops:

Was not confused the publication, of this text. The answer is for you Eric. :) Publish, an architecture of information, that consider essecial for understanding of somewhat that does not himself know. He can omit the part, that not convinien the publish. Exaggeration? It is a presentation, with informative objective.

(Obs: Publish complete.Liberty, many readers here.They can utilize is presentation in news post, for questions/statements of machines and systems. Avoid topics with extensive beginning. ...