Upgrade Firmware in PLC5 from Series C to Series F??

In the PLC-5 family, Series letters designate different hardware.

A Series C controller can accept only higher firmware revisions (also letter or letter.number) of firmware for Series C controllers.

I do not know if the firmware for a Series C controller must be installed as a physical PROM plugs, or if some of it can be loaded through the serial port.

PLC-5 controllers could not recover as gracefully from interrupted firmware downloads as ControlLogix can, so it is very important to perform upgrade operations on a stable and reliable bench top installation.

PLC-5 controllers could not recover as gracefully from interrupted firmware downloads as ControlLogix can, so it is very important to perform upgrade operations on a stable and reliable bench top installation.

Boy that is the TRUTH! I have bricked a couple when everything worked perfect... I do not even try anymore

Thanks for the replies.

I had a feeling that was the case...
I was hoping for a dip switch setting or hardware change but I guess not.
There are 3 PLC 5/40E Series C on the shelf here with red tags (bricks)
Rumor is someone was trying to upgrade firmware on them, must of been an expensive project??