Red Lion G3038 crashed.

DLMUK

Hi,

I have a RLC G308 which I have a problem with.

It had a database loaded a very long time ago to it and was never used. I created a new DB and uploaded it and my RX light on the 485 port was permanently on, even with nothing plugged in.

I tried to upload a test DB written by RLC which has the function to test the RS485 port is working properly. However when I uploaded it I got something along the lines of "invalid version" displayed on the screen and Crimson 2.0 crashed.

The G308 then would not load. So I pressed buttons 1 and 2 to do a reset. Then tried pressing buttons 1 and 4 to set the IP but it does nothing!

I know buttons 1 and 4 work as I tried to change the IP address on it yesterday but I got a message along the lines of "Unable to change IP".

Any ideas?

Cheers,

If you are having trouble programming using Ethernet, try programming the G308 using the USB or serial. With Ethernet you will need a memory card installed to upgrade the firmware, whereas no memory card is needed if you program using USB.

If you upload a new program using USB, you can change the IP address from within Crimson: no need to do the reboot and multiple button trick.

As far as troubleshooting RS485 - an oscilloscope to view the activity and voltage levels can be real handy. There are so many minor mistakes you can make setting up the RS485 (terminated vs not, 2-wire vs 4-wire, swap signals,...) that it is best to at least verify you have good looking signal voltages.