UL Mafia-style Shakedown?

RTEC_PAC

Has anyone else had this experience?

-Their UL panel inspector recently getting much more picky
-The UL inspector placing the company on CPAP(naughty list)for some pretty minor infractions
-The UL inspector offering a pricey UL training package to bring the crew up to speed, and implying that the inspector will give better inspection results and take the company off of CPAP.

I'm just looking to see if it's only us, or if this has happened to others. Maybe it was just the inspector's delivery, but it sure felt like a shakedown to us.
Thanks!

It never happened to me, but I know two panel shops that have had something similar happen. In both cases it was the result of a local AHJ seeing something in their panels they didn't like, then taking the extra step of calling it to UL's attention. The issues may have also been raised by competitors who lost the project, as both of the panel shop owners suspected. I had that happen to me once as well, but it turned out the AHJ was wrong and UL backed me up, so no negative consequences (other than that AHJ becoming vindictive in the rest of his inspections on that project).

Its not surprising with the current federal bureaucrats. Almost all areas of life are suffereing from this type of illegal blackmail and shakedown. Follow the money: in whose pocket are all the billions in fines going?

A horrible example are the big banks, such as Bank of America. During the Great Recession (brought on by nothing other than the relaxation of government rules for mortgage qualification), the Countrywide Mortgage company was going bankrupt and threatening to drag the federally-supported Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac secondary mortage issuers down also. So the feds went begging for some bank to take over Countrywide. Bank of America did its patrioitic duty and took over the worthless company.

Were they thanked for this? No, ever since the feds have been dragging BOA through the courts and imposing billions in fines for so-called crimes committed by Countrywide BEFORE it was owned by BOA. This is an example of screwing the goose that laid the golden egg. Supposedly these billions are ALL going back into the Treasury. Yeah, right.

There are dozens of other examples. It is scary, this is no longer a republic being run for the benefit of the citizens.

Last edited:
There was a thread years ago where Mike Granby, the president of Red Lion, vent his frustration. Since Red Lion has many products it costs Red Lion many thousands of dollars to keep them up to date with UL.

Our own experience is that it is like a tax. We must pay year after year to get the same product inspected over and over again. Since our product only uses 24 VDC or less I don't see why.