Valve torque Calculation

Charbel

Dear,

i was searching the net to find a way of calculating valve torque in order to check selection of contractor but was not able to do it.

Is there any possible way to compute the required torque using only the diameter of the valve and the pressure?
say DN=900 and Pressure=1.0MPa

Any handy formula would be more than useful.

thanks a lot!

charbel

There are too many different styles of valves and actuators to offer a simple formula. Get the data sheet for the valve.

Absolutely. Actuator torque depends on a lot of items, including but not limited to:
Mechanical construction
Working fluid (liquid service can produce "aerodynamic" torque on some types)
Seat material
Actuation speed
max flow rate
Valve manufacturers generally provide torque calculations on request at no charge. They will also generally provide data and formulas for specific models so you could do it yourself. An example:
http://www.f-e-t.com/images/uploads/Torque Calculation.pdf