Factory Talk View-ME

PLC_Newbie_18

Hello everyone,

What I am wondering is if there is a way to logout a user after say 5 minutes of inactivity and default back to a specific user. We use different HMI's around the line and because of visibility reasons each HMI has a different login. What I want to do is say the admin user is logged in, after 5 minutes i want to log that account out after no activity and have it default to user say HMI SE, or HMI NW.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi,

Yes, you can use the ActiveX Idle Detect Control to timeout to the "IdleState" and enable a macro to use the "Login" command...

23830- Logging in another user after a period of inactivity
Access Level: TechConnect

Create a macro and call it something like "UserLogin" with the following commands:

Login username password (e.g. HMI SE SEpassword)
Display user screen (optional to also default user to a set screen e.g. MainDisplay)

Use this macro with the ActiveX control.

So if say HMI ADMIN is logged in and inactive for 5mins, the IdleState is set TRUE and the UserLogin macro is executed, logging out HMI ADMIN and logging in HMI SE.

Regards,
George

Thanks for the help with this!

I havent done much work using the macro or active x control properties in factory talk. I found how to insert an active x control but not to sure on how to do the rest of it. Like creating the macro its self. I seen where the macro is located but when i click on new, it brings up a tag and expression?

Thanks

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Did you read step 6 & 7?

You attach the command or macro to "EnterIdleState" via the ActiveX properties.

G.

Yes, from what i have been reading I believe I have figured out the Active X part of it, the issue im having is setting up the macro. I selected new macro, and then it shows tag and expression, im just not sure on how to fill it in. I was able to download the idle control from the rockwell knowledge base and i know where to enter the macro once its created. Im just having issues creating it.

Apologies again, I'm not at my laptop and am working from memory. I might have led you slightly astray?

You would normally create a "tag/expression" type macro through Global Connections when you want a macro to execute when say a particular screen is navigated to, or a button is pressed whos behaviour tab is set to execute a macro. These macros change a tag's value to the result of the expression.

This is not what you need here.

The Inactivity ActiveX control does not need to influence any tags in this case, it just needs to issue a Login command. It has built in events to trigger a command or a macro. So, following my instruction to create a macro, you are now confused, wondering what tag do I need in the macro editor before entering that macro's name in the event field?

You just need to enter the Login command for the "EnterIdleState" event of the ActiveX control i.e. You are entering a direct command for the event, not a macro name. Again, my apologies.

Enter your "Login username password" command for the event. When the Inactivity ActiveX control's "EnterIdleState" is TRUE, its event command "Login..." should then be executed.

Hopefully?

G.

In FactoryTalk under the Project Settings there is a Runtime tab. That tab includes a checkbox with Enable auto logout with an customizable inactivity period in minutes. It can also return to a specific screen.

Does this help?

Thanks for the help guys, and both answers do help. I have checked into that autolog feature but what i am trying to do is autolog with default login to a specific user. Thats what geospark was explaining.

Thanks guys!

You just need to enter the Login command for the "EnterIdleState" event of the ActiveX control i.e. You are entering a direct command for the event, not a macro name. Again, my apologies.

Enter your "Login username password" command for the event. When the Inactivity ActiveX control's "EnterIdleState" is TRUE, its event command "Login..." should then be executed.

Hopefully?

G.

This is the part im slightly confused on. So i created the Idle Detect Control, I entered 300 for the interval which is 5 minnutes.

Where it says IdleState you want me to enter the expression "Login HMI MAIN HMI MAIN" ? So then technically im not running a macro at all right?

Just so everyone knows, there is no way to do an auto login in factory talk ME when using a macro.
Maybe that tells you something? If the Administrator is not responsible enough to log out after making a change, then you need something besides an auto logout feature. Maybe an auto kick-in-the-pants.

Maybe that tells you something? If the Administrator is not responsible enough to log out after making a change, then you need something besides an auto logout feature. Maybe an auto kick-in-the-pants.

It's probably a good thing this doesn't exist, because I would use it WAY too often :ROFLMAO: