PV Plus Security

outlaw9801

I am looking to put alot of security on panelview i am designing and i am trying to figure out the best way to do this. Is there a way you can do an auto logout so one operaotr cant use the others if they forget to logout? Any other ways of doing security would be great. I will have 4 operators running the equipment regularly and also want a maintenance login and engineering and a guest operator.

In FactoryTalk View Studio there is a Project Settings editor on the left hand side (I think it is under the System folder). From there you can assign an auto-logout after a specified number of minutes. Keep in mind that "0" minutes would disable the auto-logout.

Be careful about logging them out too quickly. Often times a user will be looking at a screen while performing a task. Even though they are not actively using the screen. This can lead to nuisance logouts which leads to hammers through the display.

You probably want to keep the login names generic to the user function rather than actual users names. Keep the names and passwords relatively short. Touching 10 characters for a name and then 8 more for a password gets annoying on a touchscreen.

OG

a word of advice ...

just be sure to come back around every day or so and remove the little yellow sticky note which will have all of the passwords written on it ...

I have NEVER (NEVER) seen operators obey any "password based" security rules ... if you can indeed find a way to make this work RELIABLY, please come back and post again and tell us how ... I know quite a few people who have tried this - and all have given up in disgust ...

no matter how good the "system" is - people are still people ...

the only way that seemed to have any potential was threatening to immediately fire/terminate/murder any employee who violated the security rules ... the company made plenty of threats - but it never panned out ... firing the guys who keep your equipment running is usually not in anyone's best interest ...

I was working for a systems integrator at the time - and we weren't the company who was threatening to fire/terminate or murder anybody ... we were just the guys who got called in to remove the password security that our competitors had already installed ...

our competitors considered "removing" the passwords to be a "change order" to the job they had recently finished - and they wanted to be paid to do the modification ... the plant didn't want to pay extra - even though they were the ones who had written the security requirements into the specifications - and had now realized just how messy handling the system had become ...

the two parties got into a big argument - and after the dust had settled, we had picked up a new customer ...

Last edited: