What types of PLC can rean/send ascii data?

Freires

Hi, do you know what types of plc can read a data barcode (ascii) and/or send data ascii to another item?
i know that plc click of automationdirect can do this; is cheaper, smaller than the others and is good for work, but do you know another?
siemens?
allen bradley?
mitsubishi?
or what?
Thanks programmers!

Mitsubishi can read ASCII for sure, have done so many times, I think any PLC can do this. As for write, it would depend on what you are writing to, as the ASCII code is turned into binary, decimal, hex-decimal, octal, symbol or HTML depending on your requirements.
http://www.ascii-code.com/

Wow i didnt know that small plc like 1200 can use this, i thought that only big plcs can do this...like a compact logix or a plc 300 simens....Bryan and Badger do you know some tutorial for programming these plc??
Thanks a lot for your comments

What else do you need to do? Most PLC's can do the ASCII, but to recommend, we need to know what I/O and other communications you need.

-Bryan, i am going to see this, thanks.
-Cody, i want know how use a plc that receive and send data ascii because i had an application that requires read a barcode and if is correct the ascii data of the barcode it will print a label on a zebra printer with more ascii data (julian day, serial number, etc); i can not do this with a plc, so i used a pc and i was helped with the port usb of the pc to read ascii with a scanner barcode and using usb port to send print on a zebra printer....recently i saw on the web this item (http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/SICK OPTIC ELECTRONIC/CLV6300120) but i am fascinated with use modules of plc for the next time that i need program something similar.
-Badger i am going to seek on this page what is similar
Thanks all you

If you are using a Zebra printer, you do not need to send an ascii code with all the information of the label to it. You can store the labels/ information inside the Zebra and just send a code to it to define which label needs to be printed. Regards Badger.

Just about any of the AB PLC can do it. The issue I ran into is that ASCII takes a LOT of memory and one can max out a PLC, really, any PLC quite fast with just a few ASCII operation.

Just about any of the AB PLC can do it. The issue I ran into is that ASCII takes a LOT of memory and one can max out a PLC, really, any PLC quite fast with just a few ASCII operation.

Which is exactly why I posted that you can store all of the label info in the printer, just send it a number not an ascii code it can select from that number which label to print.

If your label formats are similar, you can keep the common ASCII strings separate. Just send out the bits and pieces that you need. It doesn't have be concatenated together first.

SoftPLC is a hybrid PLC/PC so it is very good for this type application. See their COMGENIUS functions. We did an application that would read the order file, figure out where in the warehouse to get the item(s) using bar code scanner, send the automated vehicle to get the item(s), send them to packing area, then print the shipping label and generate/print the invoice for a box of item(s) to the customer.

-

-Cody, i want know how use a plc that receive and send data ascii because i had an application that requires read a barcode and if is correct the ascii data of the barcode it will print a label on a zebra printer with more ascii data (julian day, serial number, etc); i can not do this with a plc, so i used a pc and i was helped with the port usb of the pc to read ascii with a scanner barcode and using usb port to send print on a zebra printer....recently i saw on the web this item (http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/SICK OPTIC ELECTRONIC/CLV6300120) but i am fascinated with use modules of plc for the next time that i need program something similar.