red lion experts

irondesk40

have done some projects that i used a control technique ctvue 306 HMI unit and some Emerson Unidrive Servo units.
The control technique is actually a red lion that is labeled control technique that has the built in drivers for the Emerson drives.
Now looking at duplicating this same process but will not have any servo motors or controls but will have about 80% of the same operations and operator screens.
Instead of using a control technique labeled redlion, looking at switching to Red Lion.
The software i used to create the screens in is the Control Technique CTvue software that from what i have been reading is basically Crimson 2 software with some modifications.
If i switched to the RED LION hmi and i download the new Crimson 3 software would there be a way to take the program i created with the Control Technique software and import it into Crimson 3 or just redo the whole program.
Thanks for any input.

Assuming that CTvue is in fact re-branded Crimson 2, what's your reason for switching to Crimson 3? There is a utility in C3 to import and convert C2 files, but in my experience it isn't seamless. Certain things don't come across 100% and you'll have to check your whole database to be sure.

I'm pretty sure the entire G3 series (not including Kadets) can still be programmed with Crimson 2. But if you're set on C3, just download it and see how well it converts your file, then you can assess whether or not you need to redo it from scratch.

I have never used one but I have seen the Emerson/Redlion panels. Crimson 3 is free on the Redlion Website so the easiest test would be to download the software and try to upload from the Emerson panel.
What is the file extension of the Control Technique software files?

I have never used one but I have seen the Emerson/Redlion panels. Crimson 3 is free on the Redlion Website so the easiest test would be to download the software and try to upload from the Emerson panel.
What is the file extension of the Control Technique software files?
I can't remember the exact ones, but it seems certain model HMIs do require C3 and will not run on C2.

thanks, going to download the crimson 3 since it is the latest.
Looking at Red Lion and possibly being able to download new recipe info to it remotely.
Not sure what the extension is of the CTvue files. At home and left my work laptops on my desk.

If you hit any snags with the import, contact Red Lion tech support, I would be surprised if they could not make some level of automatic conversion happen for you.

What is the file extension scheme used by CTVue? If it is a cd2, try to import it. If not, rename it as one and try. Failing that, perhaps try to inspect with 7zip or hit up tech support. Meanwhile, I wonder if running side by side editors would allow some drag/drop or copy and pasting of items...

Last edited:
CTView has a specific driver written for the Emerson servo's that is not available in the Crimson 3.0 release. And Emerson stopped accepting newer builds of C3 so therefore CTView does not support newer fixes and enhancements. Part of the private label deal with Emerson prevents that driver from being used with the official RedLion HMI's. But I think you can use Modbus comms to those Emerson devices as well.