Barcode Scanner question

Terry Boblitt

Im using a 1797-ASCII with a hand held scanner. Will be scanning 2 barcodes. What do I need to do to prevent operator from scanning the same barcode twice. Down the road will be scanning 4 barcodes. The barcodes will be on a pc board--will scan 1st one then scan 2nd one then place board on a covveyor & barcode gets cleared out to repeat cycle.

Any help will be appreciated.
Terry :geek:

Store the *last* barcode scanned. Compare *stored* barcode to the *new* barcode.
If they are the same, ignore barcode and alert operator.

What do I need to do to prevent operator from scanning the same barcode twice.

Break their fingers when you catch them doing that. That will prevent them from doing it again.

Seriously, many manufactures use Barcode scanning as proof of complete and correct assembly or process. BUT, an operator faced with the first hiccup, will quickly learn to keep a spare good part on hand, and use that to scan in a fake accept.

Or many times a "monopoly" barcode label only (not even on a valid product) will be affixed somewhere in the area, so that a pseudo valid scan can be made to satisfy the automation, with no real product being validated.

Good Luck, and let the fun begin