MicroLogix 1500 Help

Bodo

Greetings
First, I am very new to PLC and logic. I have managed to muddle my way through on most things but I'm stumped here.

I use two systems: an SLC-5/03 and a MicroLogix 1500. We have RSLogic 500 (Version 6.30) to communicate with them.

The SLC-5/03 is fairly easy to make changes on and we get along fine.

I am having trouble changing the logic ladder in a ML 1500 though. I change a value in the logic ladder while offline and then upload it and run. The value doesn't change on the live unit. It's correct in my .rss file though.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your time

--Chris

Just checking - did you mean to say "download" instead..?

Ummm. I think that's the problem.

I assumed that the lingo was like the internet. I download to my computer and upload to the internet/PLC.

Let me see if that changes anything.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!...

...& the "weird" and "wonderful" world that is Rockwell!

Don't be embarrassed. You're a "newber", not a "goober".

Regards,
George

But didn't the terms Upload/Download as they apply to PLCs exist BEFORE the Internet went mainstream?

My perspective on thee "perspective"...

jkerekes said:
But didn't the terms Upload/Download as they apply to PLCs exist BEFORE the Internet went mainstream?

John, you just had to, didn't you! :p

My understanding of AB's way has always been that it is more a matter of perspective...

The controller is the "Client", similar to an "Internet End User".
The programming computer is the "Server", similar to the "Internet".

Download:
If you think of yourself as the "Client" i.e. "End User" at controller, requiring the program, then you are "Downloading" the program to the controller.

Upload:
If you again think of yourself as the "Client" i.e. "End User" at controller, requiring to send the program to the "Server" i.e. the programming computer, then you are "Uploading" the program to the "Server".

In either of those cases, if think of yourself as the "Server" when "Downloading", or "Uploading", then it seems odd (inverted) compared to the normal sense of those operations, that most know and use today.

You have to dismiss the fact that you are physically at the "Server" when carrying out the operations required by the "Client". A skewed view perhaps, but it helps keep me sane whenever I think about it!

Of course, nowadays we also have "Sideloading", which refers to transferring data between two local devices, such as fixed or wirelessly between a PC and mobile phone.

G.

I've been using RSLogix 500 for years but every time I go to do an upload I always hover my mouse over the menu text and then read the little description that comes up in the status bar at the bottom of the window saying "upload FROM processor". That always confirms for me that I'm going in the right direction.

There's nothing worse than going the wrong way and shutting down someone's plant when they're not expecting it!