Half Bridge vs Full Bridge Load Cells

Tim Ganz

I am trying to determine which load cells are best for tension measurement of material going on a center winder with the laod cells being mounted to one of the S wrap rolls before the winder.

We have some that are half bridge type laod cells and the 2 of them are wired in series to the amplifier that gives our 0-10 volt signal and we also have some that are full bridge that are wired parallel to the amplifier.

What is the advantages and disadvantages of both. All I can find is vendor ionfo that says mine is best and so fourth. Wanted to get some opinions from people that have used both.

I am just trying to get us standard on one or the other as we have a lot of these in our building.

Tim,

i googled half wave bridge load cells and found this information.

http://www.sensorland.com/HowPage002.html

this is a how it works type site.
i always used full bridge systems so i could see the tension and compression. if it started to drift, the output would tell you. if it drifts alot, load cell going bad.

omega and sensotec had at one time lots of document on the subject on the web.

hope this helps,
james