PV300 Micro, DH485, PC_talk.

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
[FONT=&quot]The question is at the bottom ... 1st the buildup.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would like to change a prgm that is in a PV300 Micro which is configured by Allen Bradley for DH485. When I read Pub 2711-UM014G, it says to connect the PC to the PV300 with a 1761-CBL-M02 which I have. [Important aside: The Win 7 PC computer doesn’t have a DB-9 port and PanelBuilder32 isn’t supported for Win 7] . Never let reality get in the way! So, I have to use a Keyspan USA-19HS serial adapter between the correct cable and the PC. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Finally, and not trivial, PanelBuilder32 only supports writing RS-232 links (not DH485). The publication above says [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Windows PanelView File Transfer (WinPFT) Utility[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Supports the direct transfer of PanelBuilder32 application files from WinPFT over an RS-232 link. The WinPFT utility is included with the PanelBuilder32 Software. RSLinx software may be required to transfer applications to the terminal for DH-485 and DF1 protocols.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]This method is recommended for direct downloads to installed PanelView 300 Micro terminals using a portable or laptop computer”[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Turns out that I have WinPFT – who knew? For a PV300 Micro that is purchased with RS-232, this whole contraption – including WinPFT and RSLinx, works great.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Question[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; When I travel to the customer site and try to work with a PV300 Micro that is purchased with DH485 will communication happen? If not, is there another way?[/FONT]​

If you can not open panelbuilder32 to even look at the program since it is not supported by Windows 7, I don't know how you are going to make any changes in the program
I would like to change a prgm that is in a PV300 Micro which is configured by Allen Bradley for DH485.

I still deal with these PV300Micros at my work and I've never used this WinPFT you speak of. You've piqued my interest. Is it possibly just for doing direct program transfers using RS232 serial (from PC usb) to the mini din connector?

Curious.

I've heard the newer factory talk view has a panelbuilder conversion built into it. There is a migration document that talks about it here, in chapter 3. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/2711p-ap001_-en-p.pdf

I haven't used it personally, yet, even though it has been out for awhile. I would think you would then be able to manipulate and modify the program as needed from there.

I still have a few 300 Micro Panelviews (DH485)in operation on our refer compressors.

I use Panelbuilder32 software with a 1747-UIC, USB to DH485/RS232 converter to communicate with these PV over a DH485 network.

BCS

You can use the 1761-CBL-PM02 (or equal) with either version of the PV300 Micro. The hardware is identical, only the label and firmware are different. One time, I was able to make a DF1 version into a DH-485 version by locating the firmware file and WINPFT utility. It seems like there is some trick in RSLinx to get it talking. Maybe choose the PIC driver, but without the actual PIC? I don't remember the details, but will see what I can dig up.

Yep...but I think it is referring to the internal driver in PB32. I think the RSLinx PIC driver will do the same for you. Press both the up and down arrow keys during power up to get to the configuration menu to view the node address of the DH-485 version, and set your driver to a different value.
From PanelBuilder Getting Results 2711-gr003_-en-p.pdf
IMPORTANT To transfer applications between a computer and a DH-485 or RS-232 (DH-485) PanelView terminal, you must use the RSLinx 1747-PIC Device driver, not the DF1 internal driver.

Last edited:
I use Panelbuilder32 software with a 1747-UIC, USB to DH485/RS232 converter to communicate with these PV over a DH485 network

I agree with Bering C. That is exactly how I connect to our PV300Micros that we still have in service. Buuuut, the Windows 7/8 thing throws everything out the door with no direct support with Panelbuilder32. Looking on Allen Bradley's website you would be hard pressed to be able to tell that there is/was such a program. Panelbuilder32 who??!

We are suppose to be getting new field-use laptops with Windows 7 on them and I don't know how its is all going to play out with our older panelviews still in service. I'm just glad they (A-B) still supports RSLogix500 with Windows 7/8

CeeDee,
I also have upgraded to a windoze 7 laptop at work, but I hung onto my old XP machine also, that way I still have access to PB32 to keep supporting the PV standards, we still have quite a few in service, but I am slowly converting then to PV+ one at a time.
(Also looking at RedLion as a possible new alternative)

I did look on my Windoze 7 machine after reading this thread and found that I do have the WinPft software on it, so will play around with that later.
Might come in handy for upload and download of files, but without the ability to manipulate and make changes to the .PVA files it seems very limited.

BCS

Last edited:
Goodluck Narlin!

BCS-
How hard was the conversion? I just briefly looked over a section of that "migration" PDF. What all does the migration entail? Factory Talk View (which ver?), Same RSlinx (or latest enterprise?), still using DH485 protocol? I might have to start looking into getting PV+ HMIs too. I'd love to try out Redlion stuff, but my place is pretty Allen Bradley loyal for some strange reason.

This question might be for a new topic. Sorry if I'm overstepping this thread.

I might have to start looking into getting PV+ HMIs too. I'd love to try out Redlion stuff, but my place is pretty Allen Bradley loyal for some strange reason.

This question might be for a new topic. Sorry if I'm overstepping this thread.
I was in your shoes a few years ago in an A/B loyal company that was throwing away PV+600 once a week due to washdown. I learned RSView (FT) Studio and it is nice, but sluggish and full of glitches. I think it is better now.

I had one PV300 Micro in a harsh environment that would only last 30-90 days! I finally tried out a Red Lion Kadet since the panel cutout is just a smidgen bigger to upgrade to the G304K. I kicked myself for not trying it out sooner. It lasted at least 3 years in the same spot and was still running when I left that job.

Crimson 3.0 is very different from the others. It is free, it downloads in seconds, installs in a minute. It has very few bugs and can run circles around the others in performance and versatility. Try it. You'll like it.

Also, I am quite sure I ran PB32 in Win 7 (32-bit), pretty sure you can run it in a VM if necessary too. I only used the file transfer in PB32 when memory cards were not available (only the PV 300 micro AFAIK).
The part number to order PB32 is 2711-ND3. This link says it is no longer for sale, but you can still buy it. I got a quote for it for my new job just about a week ago (~$750). We will hold off buying it until we run into a pressing need.

Last edited:
throwing away PV+600 once a week due to washdown

whaaat??! I guess they are not very moisture resistant then. :ROFLMAO:

We've had better luck with our 300micros. They seem to keep on trucking even after the 4 years I've been where I'm at. I haven't needed to replace one yet. But even after playing with the C400 component, which is to be the replacement for the micros, the 300micros don't even compare. So dim, so dark, so green, so dot matrix like. Bleh! The C400 is bright and detailed.

Now you got me thinking... should I try and push for a Redlion HMI to replace the panelview 600 standards we have, deal with the push-back and time required to get the software approved through IT, or just go with the flow and look into the panelview plus 6 600 to replace the standard. Is it worth the battle?

hmmm... o_O

Now you got me thinking... should I try and push for a Redlion HMI to replace the panelview 600 standards we have, deal with the push-back and time required to get the software approved through IT, or just go with the flow and look into the panelview plus 6 600 to replace the standard. Is it worth the battle?

hmmm... o_O

It's like going from Pong to Playstation.

Find your Red Lion salesman and have him drop off a demo unit. Then it's all over but the (a/b distributor) cryin'.

How hard was the conversion?

Well it wasnt hard at all, because I did not convert anything. The couple I have done where not too detailed or have very many screens so I just built the whole thing up from scratch.
Never tried to migrate one to another but may need to give it a shot here soon.

I think the OP's original question has been answered so dont think he will mind us stepping on this thread a bit. Also we are still talking somewhat on a similar subject just expanding.

We are almost all AB but I just got the OK to purchase a RedLion Panel and give it a shot.
Starting to look at what will be the best one to pick.
From what I see so far they look pretty nice.
I like the fact that it can have some onboard I/O. I have a couple places that I would like to install strobes to get operators attention duing certain instances but have not brought myself to pull the cable yet.
With ouputs on the HMi it would be a breeze to get done with little effort or cable.

Cant wait to get one and start learing something new.
Unfortunatly my next one to replace is PV550 that is now on RIO.
RedLion does not speek DH+ from what I have heard so going to have to go AB on this one but will just connect to DH+ and forget about going down the RIO Road.
(It is in high washdown area also)

CeeDee forget I.T. on the software, just download it. IT is FREE!!!

BCS

Last edited:
forget I.T. on the software, just download it. IT is FREE!!!

Yah right. Ha! There goes my job if I even try that at work. Lets just say, our computers are monitored all the time. At least the ones connected to the internet through our intranet.

Find your Red Lion salesman and have him drop off a demo unit

That would be cool. I'd have to get him to drop off the software too, on disc, outside of the compound. Hand it all over to IT/Security and wait. I don't know. Might be possible. :ROFLMAO:

Going back to the original post a little bit and on the DH485 thing. If you can get a redlion to talk to SLC500s via DH485, does that mean the redlion HMI will show up in Rslinx??? o_O
I'm sure someone has tried this already and knows.

Can you dry run the redlions and test the screens without having them wired up to and accessing the PLC? I know with the older Panelviews and panelbuilder32, unless you have it hooked up to the PLC, accessing that node and addresses within the tag editor, you end up with a node error pop up on the screen that will not go away making it very difficult (impossible) to just test out your screens to make sure they flow correctly.

I've had a couple of instances where I've downloaded an HMI revision to only find out later that the operator was stuck in a new screen I made with no escape. I swore I but a previous screen button on there! Honest! o_O That was stressful for a couple hours.

Yah right. Ha! There goes my job if I even try that at work.
Hand it all over to IT/Security and wait. I don't know. Might be possible.

Guess that I am lucky there, our IT department wants nothing to do with the PLC/Automation side of our vessels.
We run a 24/7 operation and no IT guy wants to be bothered after 5:00 or on the Weekends, or any of the number of Holidays that they get to take off of work.

They tried locking down all the switch ports by MAC Address when we first installed our Fiber Network.
Well the first time a drive went out and had to be changed at 2:00 in the morning and they got a call that the port need to be reconfigured, WELL, needless to say the next day all the ports where unlocked.

If you think you are interested in Redlion maybe download the software at home and mess around with it as Emulator on your personal PC and try it out.

BCS

Last edited: