VMware or Virtual Machine?

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Pros and Cons on choice of VMware or Windows Virtual Machine?
Do not need pricing comparison, I know VMware Workstation is about $250 and Windows Virtual Machine is free.

Windows Virtual PC: "Where the **** did everything go ? Is this the root directory ? Which directories are bound to the host ? How the hell does the networking function ? Did somebody change the password ? Is this application running inside the VM or outside the VM... is the little pink border the difference ?"

VMWare Workstation: "Let's get to work."

So what you are saying Ken is you get what you pay for ��. Kind of like RSLogix and CCW?

I used the Windows "XP Mode" VM on one laptop we provided to a customer, who promptly changed and forgot the wrong password and can't seem to figure out how to launch their applications and also get those applications to talk to the connected network.

I realize this could simply be one bad experience coloring my opinion, but it was a strongly negative experience.

Conversely, I purchased VMWare Workstation with my own money and have used it extensively for years. I can send a removable HDD to a customer, have them run VMWare Player, and be reasonably confident they will be able to use the software successfully. I recently did this with a non-English-speaking customer and they had no trouble following my screenshot instructions.

In my opinion the tight integration between host and guest OS in the Windows built-in VM is a drawback because it's hard to figure out the line between them. VMWare is a more clear "here's the VM, running in its window" distinction.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Lots of people prefer VirtualBox as well. But I'm a VMWare adherent and will continue to be.

I used the Windows "XP Mode" VM on one laptop we provided to a customer, who promptly changed and forgot the wrong password and can't seem to figure out how to launch their applications and also get those applications to talk to the connected network.

I realize this could simply be one bad experience coloring my opinion, but it was a strongly negative experience.

Conversely, I purchased VMWare Workstation with my own money and have used it extensively for years. I can send a removable HDD to a customer, have them run VMWare Player, and be reasonably confident they will be able to use the software successfully. I recently did this with a non-English-speaking customer and they had no trouble following my screenshot instructions.

In my opinion the tight integration between host and guest OS in the Windows built-in VM is a drawback because it's hard to figure out the line between them. VMWare is a more clear "here's the VM, running in its window" distinction.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Lots of people prefer VirtualBox as well. But I'm a VMWare adherent and will continue to be.

+1 on VMWare if it's a VM you really need to depend on.

Virtualbox is fine for less important things. For me it's been more crash prone.

I use VMWare. The microsh!t solutions didn't work. I run Rockwell, Siemens, Mitsubishi and Matched software on my VMWare. I have paid them a lot.
I have been using VMware for over 10 years now. However, I find the company VMWare is totally brain dead when buying or upgrading a license. I find dealing with them painful.

I use VM Player which is free. Have not had any problems with yet.

This is no longer true, they have a stipulation for "non-commercial use only". Last I checked it was ~ $100 for the VM Player license.

I rock Workstation.

Another vote for VMWare. I use the mac version (VMWare Fusion) and have used VMWare workstation in the past. Both pretty well flawless - in version 6 of Fusion I had VMWare crash maybe once a month, requiring a reboot, but since upgrading to version 7 six months ago it hasn't missed a beat. The only thing that crashes is Windows ;)

I have used VMware, Xen for a server, and VirtualBox daily since 2008.

I find virtual box every bit as powerful as VMware, and have had zero problems with it. I can't think of a single reason to recommend VMware over virtualbox