Help setting up MBP MSTR

Iet=gud

I need some help trying to set up ethernet comms using a MBP MSTR block in Unity Pro. I would like to read from an Advantys RIO to a Quantum PLC. Literature I have found so far has not helped much. I have been using the IO Scanner till now, it has worked, and is easy to set up, but communication gets hung up periodically and can only be reset by a reboot. Any help would be appreciated.

It's totally up to you, but I would spend the time to troubleshoot the IOScanner issue before spending it on setting up MSTR blocks. MSTR blocks have two main advantageous:

1. They can be changed on the fly. IOScanner configuration is a build-time decision, not run time (with exception of simple on/off control through control bits).
2. They are more flexible than IOScanner - IOS is limited in the function codes it supports

With these come significant complexity that you have to manage. Also the total number you can have operating at a time is very much limited when compared to IOScanner.

I know it's Quantum, but can you be more specific? CPU? Are you using an NOE or a NOC for comms, or the CoProcessor Ethernet port on the CPU? What is the firmware level, and if it is not the newest, did you check the release notes to see if maybe something was fixed? Is UnityPro up to date?

So comms stop when using IOScanner... Does the health bit drop? Is there a module error for the Ethernet device on the Quantum backplane - there is a bit in one of the system words that indicates module errors? Does the module show fault with LED? Did you enable and/or try to toggle the control bit when this happens?

Thanks for the reply, CPU is a 434 12A, NOE is 771 01. Firmware is up to date on both. Unity Pro is at V8.0. IO Scanner is using a rep rate of 128ms and health timeout of 5000ms. This is what drops, as this is what i use to alarm to our DCS. There are currently 28 separate Advantys, each consisting of a NIP2212 and 1 ACI1230. Periodically some of the units will hang up, but only through the IO Scanner, as I am still able to connect to these units via the Advantys software. I was told that it may be a socket issue, that is why I was going to try and connect using the mbp_mstr using some sort of cascade to collect the data i need. I tried to set up as per the help menu, but no luck thus far. I'm sure i'm on the right track just missing something.

Whats the socket issue?

Try toggling the control bit on the connections that appear broken. That load should be fine on that device and 5000 for a health timeout is plenty long enough. The controlbit will close the tcp socket and then create a new one when you re enable.

I recall, but can check, that noe supports 16 mstr blocks at the same time. Since you have more devices than that, as you note, you will need cycling logic to get them all. Will your code not compile? Are all the items fed into the block located? I have an mstr in-a-dfb code if it helps.

Is the firmware in the Advantys NIM module up to date
There was an issue with an older firmware locking up comms

Never thought to check the firmware on the Advantys, just because i am able to connect through the Advantys software with no problems, even when accessing through the IO Scanner is not working. I will check anyhow. Thanks.

No, not necessarily, but i have tried the combo that you mentioned and was not able to get that to communicate either. I entered the ip of the advantys into the TCP IP ADDR block and connected that to the addrfld of the READ_REG block. Nothing comes into the array i built for the reg read output.

did you give the array addresses? the block doesn't work with unlocated variables. i use that combo quite often to read from advantys when i cant afford to do a download, works like a charm.