Possibly Lowest Cost Large HMI/SCADA Display

Archie

This is a picture of a 60" LED TV running Windows 8.1 from a $129 PC. It has a 1.33Ghz quad core processor with 2Gb RAM, so it's not an extreme low end PC. If you look on the lower right of the picture you will see the PC, it's about 6" wide. It comes pre-installed with Windows 8.1. Simply plug in the HDMI cable that comes with it and plug a cable into a USB port to power it.

In this configuration I have it connected to a WiFi router and the Beckhoff controller is hardwired to the same router. The AdvancedHMI application is showing live data from the controller. I used the Beckhoff because it was what I had handy, this could work just as well with a ControlLogix/CompactLogix or anything that communicates Modbus.

For anyone not familiar with AdvancedHMI, it is a free HMI software that uses Visual Studio as the designer. You build HMI's by all drag and drop, no code writing necessary. The application then runs on any Windows PC with the .NET framework.

LargeHMI.jpg

Very nice. I bet this gets some people thinking about updating their control rooms with larger displays!

Now if it and the I/O servers would run on a Rasberry Pi...
How about the exact same application (complete unmodified) on a $55 Beaglebone Black (a competitor to the Pi that is much faster). In a couple days I'll set up my Raspberry Pi and run the same application on it.

An AdvancedHMI applications using the native drivers will run on Windows, Linux, or Mac.

LargeHMIBB.jpg

I'm actually waiting for the new Pi 2, to give this a shot. Should be here this afternoon, along with a cute little 2.8" color touchscreen.
I just ordered one myself. I started with the B+ model and it was painfully slow, so I moved to the Beaglebone Black which is much faster. So now I'm curious as to how the Pi 2 performance compares.

HMI on a Pi

So here is the same HMI application on a Raspberry Pi model B+. Turned out to be quite easy to set it up, 4 basic steps in about 30 minutes prepared the Pi for running AdvancedHMI applications.

AdvancedHMIPiSM.jpg

How do you get .NET to run on Raspberian?
Pure .NET applications will run under Mono. The application in the picture was compiled with Visual Studio on a Windows PC, copied to a USB memory stick, then the executable was run under Mono on Linux. If you can make out the picture, in the command prompt window you will see the command line:

mono AdvancedHMI.exe

The OS is the Debian Wheezy distribution (Raspbian)

Last edited: