Possibly OT: FM Requirements and Electrical Controls

Here's my situation: I have a customer that we've been building panels for for many years. They're a molten metal furnace manufacturer. Up until recently, we've just been building their panels. They gave us the schematics and purchased all the parts. The last few projects, we've started to transition to us ordering the parts and doing their schematics. The goal being to have a neater, more standardized schematic print (theirs weren't so great). Also, having us ordering the parts is easier because if something gets ordered wrong, that's one less channel the fix has to go through.

This past week, I had to help fix an issue they were having with their High Limit controller. We deviated on the design because the old controller was a Honeywell and the lead time was way too long for the project. Instead, I ordered a Watlow FM Approved High Limit Controller. I installed it on a pair of panels and shipped them to the customer.

Long story short, the customer complained because these new High Limit Controllers didn't "auto reset" like the old Honeywell did. After doing some looking, I was told by Watlow that FM Approved High-Limit controllers cannot have an automatic reset per FM code. I looked into it some more to find that the Honeywell controller they were using for the High Limit control was NOT a High Limit Controller at all, but a PID controller they had set up to turn off if the temperature surpassed the setpoint and back on if it dipped below.

I explained to my contact that they had never been using proper High Limit Controllers, and that in the future we should switch to FM approved controllers and have a manual reset. He seemed confused by this and was adamant that what they were doing was okay because they've been doing it the same way for many years. I bristle at this line of reasoning (just because you've been doing something wrong for 30 years doesn't automatically grandfather it in to being right), and tried to convince him to change. There was no arguing with him. He decided to have us order on the next panels PID controllers to use as High Limit Controllers. He also insisted that the temperature going too high does not pose a threat to personnel, and that it only protects the furnace itself.

I'm really at a loss, here. I'm not an FM expert. I don't know if High Limit Controllers are always required in that application, or if they have to be FM approved for Hi limit, or what. I'm kind of upset at him because my customer as the furnace builder should be the one telling ME what the FM rules are, not the other way around. The dilemma I'm having is that now that we are doing the prints, and ordering the parts, I feel this puts us at risk if FM ever comes down on this manufacturer. I made sure to use their title block on the drawings, but I'm sure that won't be enough. My contact did verbally tell me that they would accept responsibility for FM compliance, so I definitely will want to get that in writing before we order anything.

But so far the only thing I can think of to word it something along the lines of "we are knowingly violating FM regulations on our design because we just plain don't feel like doing it the right way." I don't want to hand that to them, but they're not giving me any tangible reason to deviate from what I perceive is the standard other than "we've always done it that way."

Is anybody here more familiar with FM that can shed some light on this situation?

Here's my situation: I have a customer that we've been building panels for for many years. They're a molten metal furnace manufacturer. Up until recently, we've just been building their panels. They gave us the schematics and purchased all the parts. The last few projects, we've started to transition to us ordering the parts and doing their schematics. The goal being to have a neater, more standardized schematic print (theirs weren't so great). Also, having us ordering the parts is easier because if something gets ordered wrong, that's one less channel the fix has to go through.

This past week, I had to help fix an issue they were having with their High Limit controller. We deviated on the design because the old controller was a Honeywell and the lead time was way too long for the project. Instead, I ordered a Watlow FM Approved High Limit Controller. I installed it on a pair of panels and shipped them to the customer.

Long story short, the customer complained because these new High Limit Controllers didn't "auto reset" like the old Honeywell did. After doing some looking, I was told by Watlow that FM Approved High-Limit controllers cannot have an automatic reset per FM code. I looked into it some more to find that the Honeywell controller they were using for the High Limit control was NOT a High Limit Controller at all, but a PID controller they had set up to turn off if the temperature surpassed the setpoint and back on if it dipped below.

I explained to my contact that they had never been using proper High Limit Controllers, and that in the future we should switch to FM approved controllers and have a manual reset. He seemed confused by this and was adamant that what they were doing was okay because they've been doing it the same way for many years. I bristle at this line of reasoning (just because you've been doing something wrong for 30 years doesn't automatically grandfather it in to being right), and tried to convince him to change. There was no arguing with him. He decided to have us order on the next panels PID controllers to use as High Limit Controllers. He also insisted that the temperature going too high does not pose a threat to personnel, and that it only protects the furnace itself.

I'm really at a loss, here. I'm not an FM expert. I don't know if High Limit Controllers are always required in that application, or if they have to be FM approved for Hi limit, or what. I'm kind of upset at him because my customer as the furnace builder should be the one telling ME what the FM rules are, not the other way around. The dilemma I'm having is that now that we are doing the prints, and ordering the parts, I feel this puts us at risk if FM ever comes down on this manufacturer. I made sure to use their title block on the drawings, but I'm sure that won't be enough. My contact did verbally tell me that they would accept responsibility for FM compliance, so I definitely will want to get that in writing before we order anything.

But so far the only thing I can think of to word it something along the lines of "we are knowingly violating FM regulations on our design because we just plain don't feel like doing it the right way." I don't want to hand that to them, but they're not giving me any tangible reason to deviate from what I perceive is the standard other than "we've always done it that way."

Is anybody here more familiar with FM that can shed some light on this situation?

It sounds like you are gonna have to go up the ladder of command or find a new customer. I don't know that in a court of law, you wouldn't be held responsible for providing essentially everything for the job, regardless of a document releasing liability. Tread softly, but don't let your integrity get tossed for a dollar figure.

Here's the text from NFPA 86, 2007, on Excess Temperature Limit Controllers, AKA high-limit controllers.

Note the highlighted section on the requirement for manual reset.

Excess_temperatuer_Controller_NPFA_18_16_1a.jpg

Excess_temperatuer_Controller_NPFA_18_16_2_hi.jpg

I don't have the more recent version, but I doubt that the high limit controller part changed.

The issue of course, is liability. Whether liability reaches to the panel shop, I don't know.

You might consider cutting the hole in the panel and supplying the panel without a high limit controller, letting them install what they want.

Or suggesting that they install a true high limit controller (in addition to their on-off controller) which uses a setpoint above wherever it is that they're cycling in auto-reset mode.

Originally posted by FactoryTalktotheHand:

...and was adamant that what they were doing was okay because they've been doing it the same way for many years.

That one has got to be my favorite "engineering rationale" of all time. I hear that way too much too.

FM is an insurance company. Their insurance model requires engineering analysis of risk and risk mitigation. But, at the end of the day, FM can't "come down" on your customer unless they happen to be insured by FM, which they obviously are not. If they were a routine FM site evaluation would have caught this.

However, as part of their business model, FM develops internal standards relative to alot of risk sectors. If the AHD with oversight of the furnace references the FM standards as part of their required standards then your customer may have an issue with the AHD.

For your part I would put a note on the drawing in the area of the PID controller acting as a high limit stating something like:

WARNING: This design does not include an approved high limit control device. High limit control should be installed prior to equipment start-up.

Include this warning in any manual you may provide. on a separate sheet included with the equipment packing list and as a mailing via certified mail to the customer.

Keith

...and was adamant that what they were doing was okay because they've been doing it the same way for many years.

This is always a great discussion.

I dont know **** about furnaces, but seems to me it would be quite easy to just add a proper over-temp device, and use the existing PID controller to do what its been doing. If the PID has been working fine, then that should provide the functionality they need, unless their overshoot is crazy, in which case they may need to work on the tune.

Here's the text from NFPA 86, 2007, on Excess Temperature Limit Controllers, AKA high-limit controllers.

Note the highlighted section on the requirement for manual reset.

Excess_temperatuer_Controller_NPFA_18_16_1a.jpg

Excess_temperatuer_Controller_NPFA_18_16_2_hi.jpg

I don't have the more recent version, but I doubt that the high limit controller part changed.

The issue of course, is liability. Whether liability reaches to the panel shop, I don't know.

You might consider cutting the hole in the panel and supplying the panel without a high limit controller, letting them install what they want.

Or suggesting that they install a true high limit controller (in addition to their on-off controller) which uses a setpoint above wherever it is that they're cycling in auto-reset mode.

It may be the case that these furnaces fall within the exception on 8.16.2. They are electric and it may not be possible for them to exceed the maximum temperature of the furnace. I would hope my customer would know what the max temp is at least. I've forwarded them the information so hopefully they shed some light on it.

The Honeywell High Limit never "auto-reset".
I believe the customer may be referring to the "power up" mode.
The Honeywell High Limit can be configured to "power up" in the reset mode, most high limits power up in the tripped mode.
Take note....The Honeywell High Limit IS "tripped" when power is off.

Now MAYBE....the customer was using the "Alarm" relay output on the Honeywell High Limit and not the "Limit" relay output?? Which is obviously wrong.

Last edited:
the Honeywell controller they were using for the High Limit control was NOT a High Limit Controller at all, but a PID controller they had set up to turn off if the temperature surpassed the setpoint and back on if it dipped below.

I explained to my contact that they had never been using proper High Limit Controllers, and that in the future we should switch to FM approved controllers and have a manual reset.

The controller was not a high limit controller, it was either a control output or an alarm running in on-off mode.

I don't think the customer is confused, that's their expectation

The Honeywell High Limit never "auto-reset".
I believe the customer may be referring to the "power up" mode.
The Honeywell High Limit can be configured to "power up" in the reset mode, most high limits power up in the tripped mode.
Take note....The Honeywell High Limit IS "tripped" when power is off.

Now MAYBE....the customer was using the "Alarm" relay output on the Honeywell High Limit and not the "Limit" relay output?? Which is obviously wrong.

I looked into it some more to find that the Honeywell controller they were using for the High Limit control was NOT a High Limit Controller at all, but a PID controller they had set up to turn off if the temperature surpassed the setpoint and back on if it dipped below.

OOps....I now see that the customer did not have an "FM approved" High Limit instrument.