Is it possible to convert a csv in excel to possibly a xls file?

so do i need to change the way I coded the program to save the data?
Yes, use your Visual Basic program to run the Excel sofware, and open your CSV file.

After each change, first CLOSE the CSV file, then use your Visual Basic program to call Excel, load the CSV file, then save it as a XLS file, then CLOSE the XLS file. Now you always have an updated spreadsheet that can be opened and viewed by anyone else.

The problem with the CSV file conversion to XLS is that it may not be formatted and labeled as you need for your co-workers.

As Jesper says, a database file may be better suited for your needs. But probably your customers will prefer sticking with Excel.

Last edited:
EPPlus is a .NET library that will let you read/write directly to Excel files.

In Visual Studio, go to Project->Manage Nuget Packages
Search for EPPlus
When it finds it, select it in the list and click Install

If you Google EPPlus you can find examples on how to use it. Also I put a couple sample Visual Studio projects in the AdvancedHMI repository that show how to use EPPlus :

https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/files/advancedhmi/3.5/SampleProjects/

If you have successfully written to a CSV file (it's just a text file) why don't you open it and read it to populate your datagrid?

Code:
Open "C:\XX.CSV" For Input As #1
Do While Not EOF(1)
  Input #1, intCode, intErr, intGrp, strMsg
  <if the data is what I want, put in datagrid>
  <Yada, Yada ...>
Loop
Or, you can write to an Excel file but it takes quite a bit more code.