Way OT, but its Friday...

Did I just watch a robot do a touch and go on CVN77 ? With the deck stacked with personnel and a rescue chopper ?

And then to show off, he trapped the 3-wire.

Wow, what a bird.

Very cool...that video game experience has paid off for that guy.

So to keep it a little on topic. let's talk about what kind of controls they use in that bird.

What kind of control power and what voltage?
Are the servos and positioners analog or digital?
Are the radio control signals encrypted?

Cool video!
My question is the ground handler seems to have an arm control unit to steer (at least) the drone onto the cat rail. At what point does he hand off control to the person below deck? How is that handled so the ground handler can no longer issue commands to the drone? It looked like the Carrier was at a pretty moderate speed. How much compensation does the drone do itself during landing for side winds, gusts across the deck, etc. and how much does the pilot handle? very interesting.....

cool video
o.png

Personally I would have prefered that all this time and effort is spent on something peaceful and not a high tech killing machine.

RussB can you share the answer please?

My son is a Drone instructor.
He flew Drones for 4 years and now has a cush training job in the Air Force reserves.
The X47 is a real nice looking Drone.
There are a few nice videos on Drones at work.

These drones look like the alien spacecraft in a long forgotten film.....War of the worlds, maybe, but alas we will be killing fellow humans, and not aliens.