Unable to download/upload ML1100

technojuggler

I have successfully established communication using RSLinx class lite and RSLogix starter Micro lite but i am unable to download upload any program to and from the PLC. I tried communication through both channels but unable to upload or download program into the PLC.

The error says " Configuring the setting directly to a LInx Gateway is not allowed. Add a new TCP driver ("Remote Devices via Linx Gateway") in RSLinx Classic, and then select you path through this driver. "

Any thoughts of what could be possibly wrong?

sounds like your Controller properties in the project are different than what your computer currently.has.... I would start there7

Either that or when you branch through RSWho, you are picking a path through another machine on your network (Linx Gateway) or you are going through your own Linx Gateway link causing the 'puter to chase its tail.

Googling:
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=14554

Perhaps delete the harmony files and try again?

And here is a longer thread on this error:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=13705

How you go from RSLogix to being online with a controller can be important. There are several ways to get there, and taking a shortcut you have not used before can hit a dead end if the System Communication is set different that the path you presently need to use. By shortcut, I mean the little drop down OFFLINE ONLINE in the upper left. That will work after your project communication path has been set to match the actual path that exists AND the file you have is a "match" for what is in the controller.

Lancie gives some good general advice in post #6 in my last link.

Last edited:
Yeah Paul, it's usually corrupted Harmony files. That one's been around a few years now and I've dealt with it a couple of times before...

20535 - Configuring the setting directly to a Linx Gateway is not allowed... when trying to communicate to a controller in RSLogix 500
Access Level: TechConnect

If no TechConnect it basically tells you to perform the well known...

48241 - RSLinx Classic: Clearing cache by deleting Harmony files
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

Thank you all. Great comments! It worked. Another thing, is it possible to upload and download program through the Ethenet/IP port?? I am using RJ45 cable for communication.

Yes, but you need to have both devices (your PC NIC and the ML1100) set up with compatible IP configurations.

Normally, PLCs and programming PCs are set up with static IP addresses. While you are online with the PLC serially, go ahead and set the CH1 Ethernet configuration how you want it, turn off BootP (if it is on), and then set your PC IPv4 address configuration to a compatible address.

If you have specific questions about how to perform the details or what IP addresses to use, post back. There are a lot of details I don't want to try to cover until we find out what you don't already know.

Thank you. So, primarily I want to use Ethernet/IP for communication between a HMI running on my PC and a actual Micrologix 1100 PLC device. I was facing trouble to download the program into the PLC through the Ethernet/IP port, but I was able to do it using the serial port so that is sorted out.

Now, I want to communicate between a HMI and the PLC over Ethernet/IP. I thought of using easy builder pro as the HMI. I wrote a very basic on/off program of just one rung and downloaded into the PLC but kind of getting stuck with the addressing formats. can you clarify that for me?

Using the I:0/0 input and getting the output on O:0/1. Simple turn on with the toggle switch. What read/write addresses should I use in the HMI to see the output via a lamp or so?

You can use the same address (O:0/1) or you can have your Input also turn on OTE B3:0/0 for example and use that for the HMI.

p.s. are you using output O:0/0 for something else... is there a reason you have "skipped" it?

Don't use real world I/O addresses in the HMI. Some of them won't let you, and it is considered a bad practice in general. Use internal address (like B3:10/0 or N10:0/0) for your buttons and indicators and in the PLC add simple rungs to "map" them to the real world bits.

Leave the PLC in full control of real world I/O.