Stratix 8300 VLAN Routing

d21x

Hi everyone. I have a Stratix 8300 router. Trying to setup VLANs for inter-VLAN routing. With the attached setup (screen shots of web interface), in LogixDesigner I lose communications to the Remote I/O.

Also attached network diagram.

Let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

Network Diagram.jpg

Attachments

• Stratix 8300 Settings 1.zip
    360.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Stratix 8300 Settings 2.zip
    127.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I don't know the Stratix series well but since no one else contributed I may be able to provide some general ideas as this is a Cisco product.

I can't really read the IP addresses on the network diagram. In addition, since you want to route, the subnet masks and gateway addresses are really useful pieces of information. I think you have 10.205 and 10.206 networks and would then assume since you want to route, you have a /16 subnet, or 255.255.0.0.

To do inter VLAN routing, typically you would assign an IP address to an SVI, or a virtual interface linked to the VLAN ID. So each VLAN involved in the routing process should have an IP.

In Settings1, I see a default GW of 10.205.172.1, with the switch assigned IP 10.205.172.2. In Settings2 I see IP address assignment for the switch itself, with a /24 subnet, so my assumption above may not be correct.

Where is the GW, 10.205.172.1? Maybe the reason you can't route to it is because it does not exist? Are the other devices on a different VLAN? On Settings1 sheet 2, I see only VLAN 10 and the native VLAN1. Are these the VLANs you want to route?

I would need more information to be able to troubleshoot this issue further - clearer IP addresses, netmasks, and gateways, and which devices are on which VLAN.

I agree with Robert I can't make out your network diagram. Looks like your DG's are not set correctly from the other document you attached.

I also normally use VLAN tag 1 for management only because depening on what else you connect to (Switch from a different vendor) using VLAN tag 1 for anything other than management can cause issues.

Looks like you have the newer firmware for the web interface for that switch. I have found it to be quite buggy so just be on your toes.

I would also not use the administrative mode as dynamic auto.

2wmkimp.jpg

Much clearer drawing, so we are making progress. I see all devices are 10.205.172.x, and the only subnet mask called out is for the switch, at /24. So let's assume all devices are on a /24, but this is an assumption: you do not tell us, so we are left to guess.

So all devices then would be on the same subnet, so no need to route. In fact, with this subnet, if true, you cannot really route through a L3 device unless you do some network tricks, which are not recommended.

So next question: exactly what is the problem? Which device cannot communicate with which device, when you do what, exactly? I suspect you are putting some devices on a separate vlan though they are all on the same IP subnet and wish to have communication between them, and this is what fails. And it should: suggest to define your vlans, and then set a separate subnet for each. Assign IPs to the vlan interfaces in the router, set proper default gateways to all devices, and it should then work. More detail can come once you describe exactly what you want to do.

Note that not all protocols route: EtherNet/IP Class 1 IO communications that are multicast will be problematic; they have a ttl of 1 so would not route, and even if they did not, you would need a multicast router with PIM. Cisco IP Base feature set supports multicast routing and you could use sparse-dense mode, but with ttl of 1, it's all a moot point. Moving to unicast communications solves this issue, though still not sure I want to route my IO traffic unless I had to. I recall you mentioned you lost connectivity to your remote IO but not sure how: through the controller, or through the config tool? or both?