If someone can kindly check the problem

The only thing I would do different is check the output being on first, then branch down to check the push button - that way the scan of the PLC won't have to check the PB(that's only on once every few million scans) then branch down & see that the output is already on to keep it on.

On a large program the additional scan steps can add up - best to start off in the right mindset.

I always check the most-common-on first & branch down to the least-common-on, and for checking the run conditions after the branch I start with the least-common-on & progress to the most-common-on so that when the least-common-on item drops the rest of the line is not scanned - it jumps right to the output to turn it off.

Last edited:
Thanks Mickey and Aabeck.

So , should I put a check on the inputs PB's and the O/P? If the O/P(motor) is on, then jump and ignore the other steps? Is that what you meant? if you can explain little further and give me an example, it will be easier for me to understand.

Thanks!

They have used a N/O stop button instead of N/C
Even the question setter has not got the importance of N/C stop buttons.

Hi Ronnie,

Hence I used XIC check for the stop button. Can you please explain little but what can be done better and what is the harm of doing it the way I did.

Thanks!

arnabbanik,

Your program is correct for the way the system is defined. Ronnie's objection is with the instructor's design of the system.

Because the instructor has specified a NO contact on the stop pushbutton, if one of the wires to the button should become disconnected, the pump could be started, but not stopped by the stop button. If the instructor had specified a NC contact, a disconnected wire to the stop button would prevent starting as well as stopping a running pump.

arnabbanik,

Your program is correct for the way the system is defined. Ronnie's objection is with the instructor's design of the system.

Because the instructor has specified a NO contact on the stop pushbutton, if one of the wires to the button should become disconnected, the pump could be started, but not stopped by the stop button. If the instructor had specified a NC contact, a disconnected wire to the stop button would prevent starting as well as stopping a running pump.

Thanks Steve,
I was thinking on the same lines. How can I take care of this problem.If I assume it is NC button, then should I check for XIC? In that way, if wire is broken, it stops the motor?

You can't assume a NC pushbutton. The instructor specifically stated that the X1 signal is true when the button is pressed. That's a NO contact. It is an inherent property of the system as designed that a likely mode of failure will result in an undesirable condition.

It is certainly possible for a NC pushbutton to fail such that the pump can no longer be stopped. For instance, if the NC contact block on the stop pushbutton became disengaged with the pushbutton mechanism, the pump could not be stopped by the button.

can not make comments because it seemed like I had to learn a whole lot more 📚
g.png

...should I put a check on the inputs PB's and the O/P? If the O/P(motor) is on, then jump and ignore the other steps? Is that what you meant? if you can explain little further and give me an example, it will be easier for me to understand...

Here's a picture of the order I would put the checks in, thus improving scan time for the PLC. And as noted before I did make the StopPB a NC that always has to be on for the motor to run.

Capture.jpg

And as noted before I did make the Stop PB a NC that always has to be on for the motor to run.
In this case that is wrong in the program, because the definition of the physical STOP button in the problem is backwards (Normally Open), compared to the way real STOP buttons should be configured (Normally Closed).

It is difficult to fix a basic error by introducing another error.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the order I would put the checks in, thus improving scan time for the PLC. And as noted before I did make the StopPB a NC that always has to be on for the motor to run.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated! I will incorporate it in my program, so that I don't forget.

Also, can you or anyone here tell me, even though I am performing division with integer function, the math register bit(S13 and S14) is not changing? I read about it from the rockwell manual and it says, remainder and quotient are stored there but I can not see anything but 0.Any ideas?

I was trying to do a even/odd check for a problem.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated! I will incorporate it in my program, so that I don't forget.
If you do, your instruction for the Stop PB (as given in the problem) will be incorrect.

In my attached drawing, Will Rung 0 scan faster than Rung 1?

I realize you wouldn't actually put two rungs like this together in a program.

CompareInstructions.jpg